Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Program Manager for Advanced Conventional Weapons
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/12/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Deputy Program Manager supporting LLNL Strategic Partnership Programs (SPP) focused on advanced conventional weapons (ACW) research and development. You will develop work proposals and project plans; direct schedulers and project leads in the development of detailed, resource-loaded schedules; work with the project managers for the different ACW projects to synchronize and deconflict competing needs for shared resources; track budgets, progress, and performance metrics (e.g. Earned Value) of the different programs; and report monthly on project execution status to internal program leaders and to external customers. You will also develop, track, and manage risks; lead requirements development, and support the development and deployment of model-based system engineering (MBSE) capabilities in concert with external partners. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work with program principal investigator(s) and project managers to develop work proposals, including Plans of Actions and Milestones (POAMs), budget forecasts, manpower needs, high-level schedules, and required support from LLNL infrastructure and staff, in response to customer requests.
- Assist in the development of statements of work (SOWs) or SOW amendments for SPP ACW projects. Support risk tracking and risk management activities for the ACW SPP projects.
- Direct schedulers and work with project leaders to develop, maintain, and update project plans and resource loaded schedules for funded activities (utilizing the scheduling software Primavera/P6).
- Maintain assessments of time-phased staffing, resource, and infrastructure needs across multiple projects, and report periodically to internal management on upcoming staffing and resource needs for each project, and on conflicts between projects.
- Work with Resource Analysts (RAs) and schedulers to calculate/update project performance metrics (e.g. Earned Value, cost and schedule performance indices, etc.), and report these metrics monthly to the project managers and program principal investigator(s). Perform required PRS reporting to LLNL management.
- Partner with LLNL scientists, engineers, technicians, etc. to maintain requirements documents and interface control documents (ICDs).
- Interface with and provide updates to DoD customers’ project controls staff according to the agreed upon methods for project and budget reporting
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Develop proposals for de-conflicting staffing and resource needs for each project, and (with concurrence) from program principal investigator(s)), execute these measures to ensure that projects stay on schedule. Influence the technical direction of the ACW projects and determine scope of effort needed to meet customer requests.
- Serve as Risk Manager for one or more ACW programs, developing and tracking watch items and risks, working with project leads to develop burn-down plans, and representing LLNL at external customer risk review boards.
- Develop initial LLNL capabilities to support customer-requested Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) initiative, using the GENESYS software platform, and interface with other organizations to support the development of cross-organization requirements definitions and system models.
- Participate in formal and informal design reviews. Prepare technical reports, documentation, and presentations.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or relevant technical field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with project planning, budget estimation and forecasting, schedule development, and methods for tracking project performance such as Earned Value.
- Experience in one or more of the following technical areas: conventional weapons, hardware design; hardware fabrication; initiation systems; mechanical testing; explosive testing; chemistry, compatibility, and aging; flight testing; mechanical analysis; hydrodynamic analysis; and/or systems engineering.
- Experience with requirements development and risk management practices.
- Proficiency with MS office tool suite (including MS Excel and MS Project).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate with LLNL staff, national team partners, and DoD customers.
- Ability to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution and to change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Ability to support occasional travel (up to ~4 trips per year) to interact directly with DoD customers.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Significant experience developing requirements and/or interface control documents for complex engineering systems.
- Significant experience in several of the following areas: conventional weapons, hardware design; hardware fabrication; initiation systems; mechanical testing; explosive testing; chemistry, compatibility, and aging; flight testing; mechanical analysis; hydrodynamic analysis; or systems engineering.
- Experience with requirements development. Experience with risk management processes.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Engineering or relevant technical field.
- Proficiency with Primavera/P6, GENESYS, and/or DOORS software.
- Experience developing requirements and interface control documents for complex engineering systems.
- Experience working with LLNL’s operations and business processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.