Refine Search Clear All
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 07/12/2021
Job Code: AMC.2 Administrative Manager 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a senior-level communications professional to serve as Division Leader (DL) and provide leadership, oversight, and management of all groups of Matrixed Services staff in the Technical Information Department. Matrixed Services staff support the Laboratory’s Directors Office and programs including Global Security (GS), NIF & Photon Science (NIF), Weapons & Complex Integration (WCI), Computing, Engineering, Operations & Business (O&B), and Physical Life Sciences (PLS). You will make significant contributions in the management of support functions that have impact across the Laboratory’s mission of Science and Technology. This position is funded at 50% time and the remaining 50% funding will be identified in the form of another TID assignment supporting any directorate or program across the Laboratory. This position reports to the TID Department Head within the Business Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide overall leadership, direction, and oversight to the Matrixed Services Division to ensure the effective management and supervision of existing staff and effective recruiting and hiring of new staff. Establish operational objectives and work plans and delegate assignments to Matrixed Services Group Leaders and multidisciplinary groups such as graphic designers, illustrators, animators, editors, writers, and web and UI/UX designers.
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements, including overseeing performance management and evaluation of first-line supervisors and all Division staff, ongoing yearly performance appraisals, career development, ranking, and salary management.
- Establish and enhance partnerships and relationships with all customers of matrixed services, working on issues that require an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives. Engage stakeholders from across the Laboratory and identify relevant training for employees to ensure TID maintains the necessary skillsets to deliver outstanding communications support across the Laboratory.
- Oversee training and career development activities to include the development of administrative and discipline-based leaders. Provide guidance and direction to the TID Group Leaders, focusing on employee growth and development. Ensure employee training is consistent with job requirements and performed in a safe and security conscious manner.
- Support communications functions across all the programs and the Director’s Office. Serve as a liaison between TID Matrixed Services and Recharge Services Divisions. Serve as a customer advocate for the programs across the Lab.
- Develop strategic business processes and core products for TID divisions through collaboration with the Department Head and peer members of the management team. Involved in developing, modifying, and executing policies that affect immediate operations and may also have Lab-wide effect.
- Work with program management on development of communication strategy and TID support model and staffing. Develop and implement staffing strategy for the Division to meet client expectations.
- Collaborate with and serve as a resource for internal/external organizations, customers, vendors, NNSA/DOE on items related to areas of responsibility, determining appropriate solutions benefitting LLNL. Serve on various LLNL committees and participates in customer focus groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, graphic arts or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, with technical expertise in one or more areas of communications.
- Expertise in and significant experience with the principles of creative and technical support services and deliverables in areas such as graphic design, print and digital media, information management, web and visualization, and writing/editing.
- Ability to lead, motivate, delegate effectively, and build complex interdisciplinary teams of communications professionals, at various levels, in a large organization. Significant supervisory or leadership experience, including participating in the development and implementation of performance reviews, performance management, and salary management; demonstrated ability to set clear goals and expectations, and communicate them to customers and practitioners.
- Highly advanced problem-solving, analytical, communication, organizational, and managerial skills necessary to independently interpret, advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions. Experience in a diverse organization and ability to create innovative solutions and build cooperative multi-disciplinary teams, while effectively interacting with management and customers.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills. Experience interacting effectively at a high level with internal and external organizations and constituencies, with the ability to work with conflicting priorities and multiple deadlines.
- Extensive experience using best communications practices in mission-based environment, holding individuals accountable, creating a safe and secure workplace, cultivating innovation and risk-taking, as well as a commitment to constructive change and improvement with a successful record of accomplishments. Experience ensuring compliance with Federal and state regulations and collaborating with peers to achieve organizational and institutional objectives.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills necessary to prepare and deliver highly complex briefings and expert advice to senior Laboratory personnel and external organizations and agencies. Strong commitment to customer service and exceptional interpersonal skills.
Qualifications we desire
- Extensive knowledge of and significant experience with processes and procedures related to the handling and processing of classified documentation.
- Understanding of a diverse laboratory and national research environment, and the ability to work within that environment toward long-range goals. Familiarity with the programs and core capabilities relevant to LLNL.
- Extensive experience in communication, visualization, academic or research library, or records and information management related field.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.