Refine Search Clear All
Associate Director for Strategic Human Resources Management
Human Resources | livermore, CA | 07/08/2021
Job Code: 175.1 Associate Director
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for the Associate Director (AD) for Strategic Human Resources Management (SHRM) Directorate. As the SHRM AD, you will serve as a strategic partner in ensuring successful implementation of the Laboratory’s business strategy through both internal and external interfaces. You will collaborate with the Laboratory Director and programmatic, scientific and operations managers across the Laboratory to develop and implement a workforce strategy that meets mission needs today and into the future. You will represent LLNL and the SHRM Directorate on external subcommittees and working groups and will interface with counterparts across the Nuclear Security Enterprise. You will serve as a member of the Laboratory’s senior management team and provide oversight and management of business operations functions in the areas of Recruiting, Employment, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion, Employee and Organizational Development, Succession Planning, Performance Management, Compensation, Benefits, HR Information Management, Employee Services, Employee Relations, Military & Veterans Programs, and the Livermore Laboratory Employee Services Association (LLESA).
As the SHRM AD you will be responsible for providing management and leadership to a team of ~100 professional and support personnel with a budget of ~ $17M. This position reports administratively to the Operations and Business Principal Associate Director for the execution of HR functions for the Laboratory and also has a direct reporting relationship to the Lab Director for strategic human resources functions including diversity, equity, and inclusion; career development and succession planning; advancement of Lab culture; and strategic recruiting and retention. As SHRM AD you will partner with the LLNL Senior Management Team to develop strategies for building, developing, and advancing the world class workforce and work environment we require.
In this role, you will
- Ensure the development and implementation of human resources strategies, programs, and initiatives in support of the Laboratory missions.
- Partner with the LLNL Senior Management Team to develop institutional diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy and initiatives to create a world-class work environment for our employees. This includes creating a culture of career-long learning, supporting a hybrid work environment, developing programs to promote worklife balance, establishing strategies to foster long-term retention, developing internal personnel policies and practices, and partnerships with employee resource groups.
- Provide strategic leadership, management, applied expertise, and knowledge in the areas of Recruiting, Employment, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Employee and Organizational Development, Succession Planning, Performance Management, Compensation, Benefits, and HR Information Management through the use of leading-edge technology and resources.
- Build strong partnerships with leadership at LLNL, NNSA headquarters and Livermore Field Office, and other internal and external stakeholder organizations.
- Oversee the development and management of human resource functions to ensure compliance with applicable State and Federal laws, LLNL policies and procedures, regulatory requirements, and DOE and NNSA directives.
- Ensure the deployment of high-performing Human Resources professionals and effective business tools, systems, processes, and procedures.
- Develop and execute strategic business plans and budgets to establish and maintain cost-effective compliant Human Resources in support of the LLNL mission.
- Identify and apply enterprise-wide best business practices via benchmarking to drive continuous improvement in all human resources services across LLNL.
- Develop collaborative partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to anticipate and respond to mission requirements.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelors in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Demonstrated strategy development, extensive management, and leadership skills that enable building positive, trust-based relationships.
- Experience leading enterprise-level Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs.
- Extensive and progressive human resources leadership and management experience in a majority of the key functional areas within human resources including recruiting, performance/talent management, training and development, employee relations and/or compensation and benefits.
- Experience working effectively in a high-impact, high-visibility, multi-tasking environment with demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplinary management team.
- Extensive experience applying comprehensive knowledge of managerial and human resources practices with the ability to effectively balance complex technical and budgetary priorities to achieve desired results.
- Knowledge of and experience implementing compliance related aspects of federal, state and DOE regulations and directives.
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to build trust in a variety of relationships
- Demonstrated expert verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise and influence all levels of management and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated advanced analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently interpret, advise, recommend, approve and implement solutions/actions.
- Knowledge of federal government orders and regulations, including EEO, AA and diversity requirements as it pertains to recruiting, employment, compensation, benefits administration, and training.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in Business Administration or Human Resources Management or current HR certification (e.g. Senior Professional in Human Resources).
- Working knowledge of LLNL Personnel Policies and Procedures and practices.
- Broad familiarity with LLNL programmatic and/or science and technology efforts.
- Experience interacting with DOE and NNSA Field Office leaders and staff.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now