Refine Search Clear All
Lasers- Post Doctoral Researcher, NIF&PS
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 07/08/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: NIF and Photon Science
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
LLNL’s Optical Fiber Laser Group is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member to participate in the research and development of fiber-based lasers (both continuous-wave and pulsed) and fiber-based sensors. You will have hands-on experience with high power diode-pumped lasers, extensive experience in engineering or physics laboratories, and a completed doctorate degree in physics, electrical engineering, optics, chemistry, materials science, or a closely related field. You will collaborate with other members of the Fiber Group to design, develop, and deploy advanced fibers and fiber-based lasers, in support of DOE and DOD-based missions. This position is in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
In this role, you will
- Plan, execute, and analyze results of research and development laboratory experiments with a primary emphasis on scaling the average power and pulse energy of fiber-based lasers.
- Collaborate with LLLNL scientists to design, build, and test novel fibers for lasers and sensors while also performing independent work as part of the team.
- Participate in preparing proposal applications.
- Specify and procure specialty laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Work within a dynamic team, including senior and junior scientists and engineers, to coordinate resources, plan experimental campaigns, document research, perform training/mentorship, provide deliverables, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of researchers.
- Adhere to strict laboratory safety requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Optical Fiber, Lasers, Optics and Optoelectronics, or related field or discipline such as Physics or Electrical Engineering.
- Experience with laser sources, with emphasis on optical fiber-based lasers and nonlinear optics.
- Experience in conducting laboratory experiments in one or more of the following areas: high energy ultrashort pulses, laser beam combination, diode-pumped fiber and solid-state lasers, nonlinear optics, ultrafast laser spectroscopy, optoelectronic devices.
- Knowledge of and experience with optical fiber, laser science and optics, and/or basic statistics as it applies to the design of experiments and data analysis.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution including experience planning experimental campaigns.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Effective initiative and ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate within a multi-disciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports, publications, and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience with designing and/or building ultrashort pulse lasers.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art fiber and laser technologies (public, private, international R&D efforts).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.