Refine Search Clear All
Associate Division Leader National Security Engineering Division (NSED) - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/01/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Associate Division Leader (ADL) in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED). NSED is an organization of approximately 450 engineers, technicians, designers, coordinators, and administrative staff, primarily supporting the Global Security Principal Directorate (GS) and the Weapon Physics and Design Program (WPD) in the following areas: mechanical and electrical design engineering, control systems engineering, RF systems engineering, space systems engineering, accelerator and plasma physics-based diagnostic systems engineering, pulsed power systems engineering and institutional engineering infrastructure systems. You will be responsible for leading the engineering rigor and design management of the work in NSED also including training and reviews. The ADL will report to the NSED Division Leader. The actual percent time of this position will be at least 25% time but may increase depending upon the details and demands of NSED and other programs that the successful applicant is supporting. This position is in NSED within the Engineering Directorate
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to a large and diverse workforce in support of the NSED’s engineering and design efforts.
- Manage the overall design review process and ensure the appropriate level of rigor is applied to design reviews in projects with significant NSED engineering effort and oversight and other engineering projects supporting GS and Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) (WPD).
- Manage the safety, rigging plan, and other technical review and approval processes; review and approve Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering Safety Notes for the Division Leader.
- Manage the engineering design effort, including oversight of process, priorities, budget, hiring, and staff career development.
- Serve as the NSED point of contact on standards committees, safety committees, and incident review committees.
- Participate as a member of NSED’s line management.
- Serve as a mentor to division employees interested in technical career paths.
- Responsible for general oversight and personal commitment to the goals of Integrated Safety Management, Integrated Safeguards and Security Management, compliance with all Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) regulations, good business practices, ethics, diversity, and equal opportunity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Serve as an institutional Subject Matter Expert for Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineering Safety Notes; review and approve NSED documents.
- Collaborate with and influence NSED’s management team to formulate and execute short-term and long-term strategic goals for the Division.
- Guide and provide scientific and technical direction for special technical assignments in the Division and Program areas.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and previous significant relevant experience.
- Significant leadership and success in working with a diverse organization comprised of engineers, technical, and administrative work force.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience of the engineering design review process.
- Extensive experience leading technical initiatives in an engineering or scientific discipline, including project or program planning, budgeting, and staffing.
- Extensive experience writing, reviewing, and approving engineering safety notes.
- Extensive customer service experience requiring exceptional interpersonal skills required to address the demands of many constituencies with diverse needs.
- Significant experience interpreting and implementing policies, procedures, and practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to provide technical leadership and oversight, present and explain technical knowledge, and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Extensive experience identifying problems and managing safety incidents that are highly unusual, complex, and/or sensitive in nature and developing innovative solutions.
- Expert communication, facilitation, organizational, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors including development of strategies and proper prioritization of special assignments.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD Degree in Engineering.
- Extensive experience and broad knowledge of major laboratory programs.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.