Refine Search Clear All
Senior Communications Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 06/29/2021
Job Code: G04.5 Tech Communications Spec 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Senior Communications Manager to support LLNL’s Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate where teams of experts from diverse fields work together to solve complex problems of national importance. In our uniquely multidisciplinary environment, the WCI Senior Communications Manager will collaborate with senior management to plan and implement strategic communications projects for WCI, establish a framework to enable a strong culture of communication, both with external stakeholders and within the internal community, that is effective and timely, and direct high-level technical communication projects to meet WCI goals and ensure the fulfillment of deliverables. This is a matrix position embedded within WCI and reporting through the Technical Information Department (TID).
In this role you will...
- Use expert in-depth knowledge of technical communications and comprehensive knowledge of related areas to lead significant and highly visible projects that have institutional and national impact including delegating assignments to multidisciplinary teams in support of technical communications projects/programs.
- Collaborate with senior management to plan and implement strategic technical communications projects for WCI. As a key strategic decision maker and leader, demonstrates originality, innovation and creativity in determining strategies and actions to generate solutions in response to high-visibility and diverse areas of communication topics.
- Execute and oversee project management processes. Provide work direction, coordinate resources, and oversee scheduling, budgeting and cost control activities to resolve complex issues.
- Contribute to the development of the WCI staffing plan, determine functional hiring needs and sources, establish technical/artistic/service competencies and participate in the hiring of candidates against criteria, ensuring appropriate capabilities.
- Oversee the budget and monitor expenditures working with resource management staff; partner with TID group and division leaders to meet staffing and budget needs and leverage best practices.
- Use creative, independent thinking to solve complex problems and generate solutions for which guidelines, policies, and/or practices may not exist. Serve as an expert-level technical communications resource and subject area expert regarding technical communication techniques, processes, and cost-effective alternatives to producing a variety of highly visible products.
- Work under consultative direction toward goals and objectives for technical communications projects, which frequently have significant impact, high visibility, and high consequence of error, ensuring the fulfillment of technical communications projects.
- Act as a communication liaison in ensuring the effective and timely communications with external stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret Clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field relevant to technical communications such as English, communications, journalism, business, engineering or a scientific area, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience in technical communications.
- Experience leading and managing high-level complex projects with a diverse group of exempt and non-exempt technical communications staff.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with specialized technical concepts, methods, techniques, and practices related to technical communications; subject matter expert in a core communications discipline (e.g., technical writing, graphic arts, photography).
- Extensive experience leading and overseeing technical communications activities for a large organization, institutional entity in a scientific/technical environment or national security organization in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive experience identifying and implementing technology solutions to meet requirements.
- Advanced technical functional skills in a variety of communications areas and extensive experience working with highly visible and sensitive technical content using specialized concepts, methods, and techniques; recognized institutionally as an expert in communications.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills to effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
Qualifications We Desire
- An advanced degree and/or professional certification
- Extensive experience working in national security mission environment, particularly in U.S. strategy nuclear deterrent with broad knowledge of the underpinning science and capabilities that support the Nation’s nuclear deterrent.
- In-depth understanding of the U.S. nuclear weapons programs to effectively execute communication campaigns.
- Familiarity with best practices in strategic planning and engagement framework.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.