Refine Search Clear All
Associate Program Leader - Defense Infrastructure
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/23/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Associate Program Leader - Defense Infrastructure. You will have responsibility for leading the growth, development and execution of a portfolio of work focused on enhancing the security and resiliency of defense critical infrastructure to physical and cyber disruptions. You will be a key member of the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience Program management team and will be expected to contribute broadly to the leadership and strategic objectives of the program. This position will be in the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) Program within the Global Security Principal Directorate’s E Program. While this position is funded in part by Global Security, the majority of your assignment will be funded through direct programmatic work.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and drive new Defense Infrastructure program growth opportunities through interactions with current and potential sponsors and the development of research proposals. Utilize technical expertise to attract and retain projects, programs and funding.
- Provide direction and technical leadership to the portfolio to ensure excellence in execution of technical work in the program. Maintain and ensure quality standards for deliverables, publications, and presentations. Manage the portfolio to achieve established goals and objectives within schedule and budget constraints. Provide solutions to complex problems and establish objectives.
- Develop an integrated strategy for the Defense Infrastructure portfolio that leverages the strengths of the Laboratory and is consistent with the broader goals of the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) and E Programs. Actively participate in strategic planning for the CIR Program.
- Attract, retain, and develop high quality staff to support the portfolio of projects in collaboration with counterparts, management, and matrix organizations.
- Increase the visibility and impact of LLNL by leveraging existing technology, programs, resources, and partnerships to develop new capabilities, new applications or discoveries, resulting in new opportunities.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance engagement with current and potential sponsors, industrial and academic partners, technology leaders, and other stakeholders. Enhance the visibility of LLNL work through engagement in appropriate venues and promote LLNL skills, expertise, and technologies.
- Work closely with the CIR Program Leader to ensure coordination across the program. Interface with other national laboratories and partners that have responsibilities in civilian cybersecurity, representing LLNL at meetings that require coordination for projects within the CIR Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers. Champion new programs and cultivate relationships with U.S. Government sponsor leadership, providing input, influencing, developing and/or refining new concepts to support Defense Infrastructure priorities and promote LLNL skills, expertise, and technologies. Play an instrumental role in attracting and retaining projects, programs, funding, and staff.
Serve as organization spokesperson to Laboratory management and/or external advisor to sponsors and serve on external scientific or technical committees. Interface with leadership at other national laboratories and partners that have responsibilities in defense infrastructure, representing LLNL at meetings that require coordination for projects within the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience Program.
Lead and develop advancements in cutting edge principles, theories, concepts, and technologies. Responsible for high-level long-range goal setting and strategic planning.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience leading the application and development of principles, theories and concepts in a creative and innovative fashion in one or more of the following areas: infrastructure resilience, modeling and simulation, systems analysis, data analytics, microgrid design and operation.
- Significant experience successfully growing programs through proposal writing and sponsor engagement.
- Significant experience managing and leading a multidisciplinary team, motivating, and collaborating with other personnel in achieving project objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with other laboratories and outside organizations.
- Ability to develop and articulate strategic direction and value propositions.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors regarding technical information and progress within the program.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level (only add if dual role)
- Extensive experience and demonstrated ability to develop and/or produce cutting-edge technical products and/or principles.
- Extensive experience growing and leading programs in the defense infrastructure area.
- Extensive experience managing and leading R&D project portfolios.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree in electrical engineering.
- Experience working at an electrical utility.
- Experience working with the Department of Defense (DoD), established contacts with at least one DoD installation, and established contacts with electrical utilities.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.