Refine Search Clear All
Bioinformatics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/23/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the areas of computational systems biology. Your research will focus on developing computational approaches for analyzing the evolutionary path of natural and engineered protein variants to identify the mechanisms of genetic variation within focused loci as well as genome-level changes. This includes assessing a population of closely related clones as well as genetic variants within complex microbial communities, and analysis of intercellular interactions with the aim of community-level interaction and evolution. Some of your efforts will involve computational modeling and data analytics that require the use of High Performance Computing (HPC) resources. The purpose of this appointment is to promote cutting-edge science and requires day-to-day interactions with experimental biologists. This position is in the Biochemical and Biophysical Systems group of the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will:
- Conduct research in bioinformatics and computational microbiology in the areas of microbial systems biology.
- Investigate the system-level underpinnings that govern genome stability and evolutionary trajectory.
- Develop computational models to predict protein fitness based on evolutionary and experimental data
- Contribute to the conception, design and execution of experiments and in silico analyses to address defined problems.
- Communicate with experimental biologists for systems biology studies.
- Work in a collaborative multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish goals.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present research at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Microbiology, Bioengineering, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Computer Science, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Physics/Biophysics, Geology/Geobiology, Statistics/Biostatistics or related field.
- Knowledge and understanding of the concepts of microbial physiology, systems biology and dynamics of microbial communities.
- Experience improving software infrastructure for microbial systems biology, such as automating bioinformatic pipelines or building databases.
- Experience developing software in one or more of the following languages: Python, Julia, C, C++, R, Java, or Matlab.
- Proficient communication skills through publication of journal articles and presentations at seminars and scientific meetings.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience in protein modeling and molecular simulations and familiarity with HPC environments and programming for parallel computing.
- Experience in data-driven or hybrid mechanistic/statistical modeling of experimental data in molecular biology.
- Familiarity with analyzing omics data, such as proteomics and genomics or previous experience in population genetics studies and experience with known libraries for scientific data analysis and visualization (e.g., pandas, scipy, numpy, scikit-learn, matplotlib)
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now