Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/21/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Mechatronics Engineers to work in our Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS). You will collaborate with a team of engineers and scientists to perform research and development projects in support of ongoing and future advancements in the topics & areas of sensors, mechanical and electrical systems, and testing. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research and development of novel technologies for high vacuum, high power, and high speed systems.
- Turn conceptual designs into realizable and manufacturable hardware.
- Contribute to the thermal and high voltage design and packaging of devices and systems to ensure reliable operation.
- Plan and execute experiments involving the fabrication and characterization of these systems.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Document research and publish results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Under minimal direction, apply advanced knowledge in the domains of complex mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of project and organizational goals, mentoring and leading junior staff, sharing relevant knowledge, providing formal guidance and recommendations to project leadership.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience conducting laboratory experiments in one or more of the following areas: high voltage systems, radio frequency systems, vacuum systems, packaging, thermal analysis.
- Experience with 3D modeling software and model-based manufacturing techniques, finite element analysis (electrostatic, thermal, stress).
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations of technical information at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge in the domains of electrical and mechanical engineering; familiarity with high voltage and radio frequency design considerations.
- Significant experience applying advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of technical projects, serving as the primary technical contact, mentoring and/or leading junior staff members.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain complex technical information and provide advice to management.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Applied Physics, or related technologies field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience.
- Knowledgeable in safety, design, and fabrication standards.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now