Refine Search Clear All
Opto-Electronic Engineer Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Materials Engineering Division (MED) is seeking a candidate for a postdoctoral researcher position in optical spectroscopy and photonic integrated sensors. The work will focus on developing highly sensitive sensors with extremely small factors using micro and nanotechnologies. The selected candidate will contribute to the Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS) capabilities in which the development of novel materials and architectures for high sensitivity and specificity sensors are sought for various programmatic applications. Particular interest is in chem-bio sensing, integrated photonics/plasmonics based spectroscopy, micro/nano-fabrication processes, and hands-on laboratory experimentation (e.g. ability to configure automated experiments for efficient data collection). However, more important than specific skills, we are seeking a creative, goal-driven, and academically accomplished individual who can rise to meet the scientific challenges and opportunities that this position will require.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research in and development of novel optical resonant devices for enhanced spectroscopy and sensing, including functional metamaterials and plasmonics.
- Fabricate, model, or characterize materials, devices, and systems. Perform bench testing and validation. Organize, analyze, and report results to project leader and team.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team consisting of engineers, technicians, and integration experts from LLNL (and outside) in all aspects of device and system development, to complete project goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform all assignments safely in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Optical Engineering, Applied Science, or related fields with some mechanical intuition.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: microfabrication processes, such as lithography, thin-film depositions, wet/dry etch, and diagnostics, such as AFM, SEM, XPS, and optical characterization techniques, including UV-VIS, IR, Raman spectroscopy, refractometry, ellipsometry, optical alignment and loss characterization.
- Ability to write and operate software (e.g. MATLAB, PHYTON, COMSOL, LUMERICAL, ZEMAX, LABVIEW, SOLIDWORK) for optical, thermal and fluidic modeling, data collection, and data analysis of experimental systems.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, measurement, and data acquisition techniques, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to succeed in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now