Refine Search Clear All
Laser Lead Operator Technical Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Laser Lead Operator Technical Associate to establish scope of work, and provide innovative technical expertise, leading laser shot operations, facility and system maintenance, and serving as facility point of contact to support the National Ignition Facility’s (NIF) Shot Operations organization in the NIF & Photon Sciences Directorate. You will be required to solve complex to highly complex technical problems, and regularly collaborate with scientists, engineers and high-level technical personnel. This role may require shift flexibility to meet the program needs. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide innovative technical expertise to scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel for laser systems.
- Participate in complex to highly complex laser systems, operations, and maintenance strategies.
- Solve complex to highly complex technical problems and report results independently, with general direction.
- Provide innovative technical expertise to the operation of a high-average power/energy laser system.
- Provide technical advice and direction to mentor and lead technicians, making decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Participate in strategic planning, organization, and budgeting with senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and extensive prior relevant experience.
- Advanced skills, knowledge, and experience leading operations and maintenance activities in a large-scale, complex, and integrated facility.
- Experience directing personnel performing complex to highly complex facility operations and maintenance activities.
- Ability to make frequent decisions using independent discretion and judgment to provide original solutions to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced technical and leadership skills including experience providing technical direction to others.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment effectively with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to work alternate work schedules to respond to facility needs which may include overtime, shift, and/or weekends.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in laser electro-optics and/or high average power/energy laser systems.
- Experience in laser safety in a shot operations environment.
- Experience interacting with and satisfying customer needs in a highly technical setting.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.