Refine Search Clear All
Process Control Engineer
Engineering | tracy, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Process Control Engineer to participate in the development and implementation of distributed process control systems for the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) program and facilities at LLNL’s Site 300. You will be responsible for developing and implementing control system applications for a variety of experimental systems using programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and general-purpose computers, producing system documentation and participating in design review, leveraging the controls expertise within the WCI Engineering teams, and ensuring the reliability, safe operation,
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop applications for supervisory, automated processing and/or device level controls.
- Debug and troubleshoot complex HW/SW subsystems either independently or in conjunction with engineering staff.
- Document all designs and implement system changes under configuration management.
- Refine and manage the system requirement specifications and control system design.
- Participate in formal and informal code and design reviews.
- Maintain a close interface with the various programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Research and provide in-depth analysis to advance the architecture of the control system, including conducting Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEAs) and leading formal and informal design reviews.
- Develop and deploy complex applications in Wonderware, ISA S88 framework, and other suitable technologies for PCs, PLCs and PACs, including training operations personnel on their use.
- Utilize advanced knowledge to design, develop, and deploy complex software in a multidisciplinary environment; develop and execute test plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with one or more of the following: developing embedded controls, data acquisition, and computer interfacing; developing software for data acquisition and analysis; developing distributed control systems with programmable logic controllers and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisitions (SCADA) systems.
- Experience with the systems and software engineering process for generation of requirements, design documents, configuration control, and preparation of test plans and user documentation.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment, which includes working with scientists, engineers, technologists, technicians, and designers.
- Familiarity with tools used for troubleshooting electrical systems (oscilloscopes, multimeters, etc.)
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge or certification in developing for data acquisition, embedded controls, Modicon PLCs, Wonderware InTouch, Wonderware System Platform, or ISA S88 framework.
- Significant experience in object-oriented or data-flow programming design and languages (e.g., C++, Java, C#, LabVIEW) and with software programming in configuration management environments.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.