Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Equipment Operational Support - Technologist / Sr. Technologist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: 504.2 Technologist - C/MS / 504.3 Sr Technologist - C/MS
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Technologist / Senior Technologist to provide design, assembly, installation, and operational support of complex laboratory equipment and systems within the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate. The majority of work will be in facilities and with equipment that present material hazards. This position is in the Nanoscale Integration Science Group within the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general support for the design, development, installation, and operational support for Materials Science Division research capabilities, including glove boxes, HEPA filters, and materials characterization equipment.
- Collaborate with technical staff and subject matter experts to install and upgrade experimental setups and perform maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing equipment and systems.
- Work on equipment and in laboratories that routinely present chemical hazards including beryllium, radioactive material, lead, asbestos, and nanomaterials, as well as explosive hazards, biomaterial hazards, and electrical hazards.
- Assist in identifying solutions to moderately complex technical problems for a diverse range of laboratory equipment.
- Perform decontamination and decommissioning of legacy equipment.
- Work as an integral part of a results-oriented team on an ongoing basis.
- Work under general direction on well-defined small projects.
- Document work in lab notebooks and informal reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 504.3 level
- Work independently or with minimal direction on small projects and contribute to larger projects under general guidance.
- Write and maintain safety documentation for technical work.
- Routinely co-ordinate work activities with technical staff throughout the Materials Science Division and Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- AA/AS degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience working with hazardous materials.
- Elementary understanding of electrical, high vacuum, and pressure systems.
- Machining experience, including common machine and hand tools.
- Computer skills, including abilities in a variety of standard software programs. (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Teams).
- Basic understanding of technologies, processes, and laboratory equipment and systems for Materials Science Division research capabilities.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment with scientific and technical personnel.
Additional qualifications at the 504.3 level
- Experience using respiratory protection and familiarity with radioactive waste (LLW, TRU).
- Experience in writing or maintaining Work Planning and Control (e.g., standard operating procedures) documents.
- Basic understanding and experience with computer aided designed (CAD) software (e.g., Solidworks, AutoCAD).
Qualifications we desire
- Experience in the maintenance and installation of a diverse range of laboratory equipment and systems.
- Experience in the decontamination and decommissioning of laboratory equipment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.