Refine Search Clear All
X-ray Detector System Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer. You will be responsible for the advanced design, development, testing, fielding, and ongoing management of new and existing Target Diagnostic Systems within the Target Area Science and Engineering (TASE) Detector Group, supporting the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF&PS). Technology areas include x-ray streak cameras, high-speed microchannel plate gated imagers, x-ray radiation detection, optical, and nuclear partial detection for imaging and spectroscopy, pulse dilation technology, Active Pixel Sensors (APS aka CMOS image sensor), CCD optical sensors, and radiation effects on electrical components and systems. This position will include complex maintenance and upgrades to fielded systems, system integration, technical project management, and systems engineering duties. You may be required to travel to domestic partner facilities up to 10%-time.. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Provide leadership to small multidisciplinary teams including work involving full life cycle engineering, analysis of system engineering requirements, design, test, installation, commissioning, upgrades, and full delivery of complex diagnostic projects.
- Ensure completion of multiple project milestones while lending advanced technical expertise for diagnostic systems currently deployed in NIF as the Responsible System Engineer RSE).
- Provide solutions to complex problems including factors that may not be well defined for multiple projects; this will include enhancement recommendations for reliability, maintainability, and availability for existing and future diagnostic systems, as well as resulting publications and presentations.
- Provide advanced solutions and in-depth analysis of various camera systems, sensor integration, and data transmission systems for us in the NIF or similar facilities, including working with factors that may not be well defined.
- Provide model-based solutions and in-depth, significant analysis of various camera systems, sensor integration, and data transmission systems for us in the NIF or similar facilities.
- Prepare papers for peer review publications on engineering designs, test results, or similar topics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant experience with complex technical project management including the use of gant charts and/or systems engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with small-scale lab automation (oscilloscopes, digital delay generators, power supplies, motor controllers, data acquisition systems, or similar) to accelerate the collection of test data.
- Significant experience using and expanding MATLAB, Python, SPICE, or LabVIEW, scripts/routines for analysis, parameter optimization and/or lab automation.
- Advanced knowledge of analog circuit design and digital circuit design at the component level. Significant experience with hands on testing and debugging of complex electronic hardware, acting as a technical mentor or leader to other staff.
- Significant experience with complex printed circuit board (PCB) layout, design including component selection and qualification (ADC, DACs, op-amps, and other standard board components)
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with scientific detector, vacuum, and high voltage (>1000V) pulsed systems including identifying and leading opportunities for enhancements as appropriate.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to lead and interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment including acting as a mentor or technical lead.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now