Refine Search Clear All
Molecular Biology - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in molecular biology, microbiology, cellular biology, and advanced optical microscopy as part of a team studying bacterial pathogenesis and protein structure/function. You will develop and use engineered bacteria strains and mammalian host cells then apply dynamic fluorescence imaging techniques, including lattice light sheet microscopy, single molecule imaging, and dynamic transmission electron microscopy to reveal the molecular function and cellular role of proteins during host-pathogen interactions. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will:
- Design and conduct experiments in biophysics, microbiology, molecular biology, and cell biology in support of host-pathogen interaction studies.
- Conduct work with proteins, bacteria, and eukaryotic cells for structure/function studies and live cell imaging experiments.
- Engineer bacteria strains and mammalian host cells to study protein expression dynamics of interest.
- Design and develop research projects focused on addressing defined problems.
- Present formal and informal overviews of progress in experimental work at regular meetings.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols, an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook including complete records of experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Molecular or Cellular Biology, Bioengineering, Microbiology, Biophysics or related field.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression and purification.
- Experience with biophysical characterization of proteins.
- Experience with mammalian and bacterial cell culture.
- Experience working on basic research projects and the ability to understand and analyze experimental results.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with protein crystallization
- Experience with preparing samples for electron microscopy and preparing cell samples for fluorescence microscopy
- Experience with genetic manipulation of bacteria and computer programming (python scripting)
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.