Refine Search Clear All
Critical Infrastructure Cyber Security Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Critical Infrastructure Cyber Security Engineer with a background in cybersecurity and industrial control systems (ICS). You will collaborate with domestic and international partners on projects in support of DOE/NNSA’s Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (DNN) Program in the protection, removal, and reduction of nuclear and radiological materials. Team members have expertise in networking, communications protocols, operating systems, system vulnerabilities, computer security, and related technologies. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing directorate, matrixed to LLNL’s Global Material Security (GMS) Program.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide solutions requiring analysis and creative use of innovative methods to complex problems by collaborating with subject matter experts and program managers in one or more of the following areas: critical infrastructure and industrial control system cyber security, information security.
- Develop and give cybersecurity training to domestic and international partners.
- Provide cybersecurity expertise as part of multi-disciplinary and multi-lab teams providing assessments of facilities and consulting to DOE/NNSA’s DNN.
- Develop software and technological solutions in support of GMS missions.
- Engage other cybersecurity experts frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, working to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Design technical solutions independently, participate as a member of a multidisciplinary team to analyze sponsor requirements and designs, and implement software and perform analyses to address these requirements.
- Manage multiple parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead various complex tasks and projects.
- Solve abstract complex problems/ideas and convert them into useable solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Develop and drive adoption of new cybersecurity positions and approaches for DNN management.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of cyber security for critical infrastructure systems (SCADA, ICS, PLCs, etc.) in an enterprise environment. Advanced knowledge of the protection of nuclear and radiological materials.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, along with the demonstrated ability to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to interact with international partners, sponsors, customers, and multi-lab teams and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Significant experience with training.
- Ability to travel both domestic and international.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level:
- Highly advanced knowledge of cyber security for enterprise IT environments.
- Substantial experience in project management and/or DNN’s mission.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to highly complex problems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.