Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Surveillance Engineer. You will support LLNL design agency (DA) elements of U.S. nuclear weapon stockpile surveillance. You will serve as a Product Realization Team (PRT) Leader and be the primary contact for interfacing with production agencies (PAs) across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) related to surveillance processes. You will be a central interface across multidisciplinary WTE staff supporting surveillance, weapon systems, and numerous other areas. You will support requirements generation through process development, PA implementation, and ultimate data evaluation and archival. You will routinely represent LLNL DA, including regular travel as part of PA interfacing and technical collaborations with counterparts across the NSE. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) / Weapon Technologies and Engineering Program (WTE), within the Engineering Directorate
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Support realization of surveillance processes: requirements, capability development, engineering evaluation, data archival and analysis.
- Regularly serve as a representative of LLNL to PAs, other DAs, and NNSA.
- Manage, update, and release PRT documentation.
- Develop original solutions to moderate to complex technical problems, determining appropriate work methods, and establishing priorities in order to meet programmatic needs.
- Support materials specifications, other cross-system DA responsibilities, as required.
- Provide technical and procedural guidance to production agencies, making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Prepare and review documents for technical content, and support formal documentation releases.
- Provide briefings and reports to weapon system teams and management across WTE.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Drive definition and implementation of surveillance process improvements and new technologies.
- Develop subject matter authority and contribute your expertise to efforts widely across WTE.
- Lead major multi-site projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical / materials / metallurgical engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience and comprehensive knowledge of engineering design, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering materials and characterization methods and standards.
- Ability to take initiative to develop innovative solutions to moderate to complex problems for successful project execution while exercising a high degree of independent judgment and discretion.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate with the LLNL weapons program, NSE sites, and federal management staff.
- Ability to travel regularly (up to 25%).
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Advanced process and procedural knowledge of production agency scope for which you are responsible, and the associated design agency implications.
- Advanced vision for recognizing process improvements, and determination, leadership, and applied “know-how” to realize these improvements within the NSE.
- Significant experience conducting meaningful technical analyses and disseminating findings through reports and briefings.
- Experience managing multiple projects concurrently, reprioritizing and changing programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience within LLNL operational and business practices.
- Experience working with other entities of the NSE.
- Expertise in any of the following key areas:
- Radiography and / or computed tomography;
- Mechanical design, fabrication, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and dimensional inspection techniques;
- Applied experience related to metals or metallurgical engineering: common machining processes, welding, chemistry and metallographic evaluations;
- Heat transfer modeling and applied thermal engineering practices.
- Knowledge and experience in U.S. stockpile weapon systems, components, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- Knowledge of NNSA’s Defense Programs Business Process Systems (DPBPS) and NAP-24.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.