Refine Search Clear All
Experimental Nuclear Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening in the Nuclear and Particle Physics Group for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in developing and conducting nuclear physics experiments to improve the gamma-ray spectroscopy data and yields for fission products that are of interest to stockpile stewardship, nuclear energy, and nuclear astrophysics. This research will make use of critical assemblies available in the NNSA Complex, nuclear reactors and mono-energetic neutron sources. You will set up experiments at these facilities, collect high resolution gamma-ray spectra and develop new analysis techniques to study the time dependent spectra in detail. You will lead the development of a new rabbit system and associated HPGe detector array to take data at very short times following a neutron irradiation of actinide materials. This position is in the Nuclear and Particle Physics Group in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct neutron irradiations of actinide materials at critical assemblies, nuclear reactors and/or mono-energetic neutron beam facilities
- Lead development of rapid rabbit sample changer for short duration exposures of actinide materials to neutron fields and field experiments using the newly developed system
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues at LANL, PNNL and MSTS and other institutions to perform measurements of fission products
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future nuclear physics experiments
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in a nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics or related field
- Advanced knowledge with accelerator-based nuclear physics experiments or neutron irradiations as well as gamma-ray spectroscopy
- Experience with charged-particle and gamma ray detectors and radiation counting and their associated data analysis
- Programming experience in C/C++, QT and other programming languages
- Experience performing analysis using ROOT
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature in physics or a related field.
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a focused team
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.