Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: 414.2 Gardener II / 414.3 Gardener III
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Gardener/Landscaper. You will perform intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance and installation duties of a skilled gardener. These positions are in the Operations and Services Division of the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform site-wide landscaping and grounds maintenance; mowing, edging, trimming, and pruning trees, shrubs, and plants, installing, and maintaining landscaping surfaces.
- Maintain, repair, and install automatic and central irrigation systems and new landscape installation by using blueprints for planting and irrigation layouts.
- Perform specialized tasks such as applying herbicide with hand tank sprayer, performing high tree pruning, tree removal, stump grinding and pathway sweeping.
- Operate all standard equipment and tools of gardener tasks including bike path sweeper, wood-chippers, aerial platform trucks, tractors, trenching equipment, motor vehicles, and other equipment common to the advanced landscape trade.
- Prepare standard reports and additional reports for permits, vehicle inspections, and deficiency forms.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with ES&H (Environmental, Safety, and Health) regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 414.3 level
- Operate specialized equipment including pest control sprayers, watering equipment including 300-gallon tanks and hand tanks, and fumigators.
- Maintain gardening equipment, including sharpening, and changing blades, as necessary.
- Prepare reports for equipment inspections, and pest control and record daily pesticides used at the Laboratory. Provide input on Pest Control Trainee Record Book.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and work experience in landscape maintenance.
- Experience performing a variety of intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance duties; mowing, trimming, and pruning of lawns, shrubs, and trees.
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing, and installing automatic and central irrigation systems.
- Experience performing specialized tasks, i.e., high tree pruning, tree removal greater than 15ft., and stump grinding.
- Ability to use chemicals and fertilizers common to the trade and to spot spray weeds in the landscape.
- Experience operating all standard equipment and tools for gardener tasks including bike path sweeper, wood chippers, aerial platform equipment, tractors, trenching equipment, and motor vehicles.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member interacting well with others. Basic computer skills necessary to input timekeeping and complete web-based training and standard reports.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
Additional qualifications at the 414.3 level
- Proficient in the use of hand tools, power tools, of the landscape trade. Understanding of permitting requirements for above and below ground.
- Knowledge of and experience with pesticides and fertilizers common to the landscape trade. Experience with spray equipment including up to 160-gallon truck tank for weed abatement and certified by the State of California to apply pesticides.
- Experience in making independent decisions, solving problems, determining workload, safety training and preparing reports.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.