Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Associate - NIF Target Fabrication
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering Technical Associate on the Target Fabrication team. You will provide innovative technical expertise for manufacturing activities, design, evaluation, review, testing, assembly, and documentation of complex target projects associated with the Program. You will solve complex technical problems and will complete tasks and report results with minimal instruction or direction. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, of the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Provide design technical expertise from conceptualization, through fabrication and acceptance testing utilizing Creo, SolidWorks, and/or other design tools.
- Work in collaboration with engineers, scientists, designers, and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of target components and support equipment.
- Conduct meetings for various target campaigns to define work scope and maintain scheduled deliverables.
- Independently work from instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment while under general supervision.
- Travel to global facilities to provide target fabrication technical expertise including the commissioning and maintenance of complex diagnostic equipment.
- Create Mechanical Engineering Safety Notes using LLNL’s Engineering Design Safety Standards.
- Perform Responsible Individual tasks for assigned labs to ensure work activities are performed within the Work Control Document’s established controls.
- Provide programmatic leadership to oversee the detailed planning and fabrication of new targets and execution of related developmental tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Ability to provide technical leadership and knowledge of complex mechanical design and fabrication also utilizing experience working with metrology and/or electronic equipment.
- Capable of making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion that may include coming up with original solutions.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in engineering design, vacuum technology, fabrication, and assembly techniques.
- Ability to solve complex to highly complex hardware or system challenges, including experience with data analysis, while working independently, under general supervision.
- Possess advanced written, verbal and presentation skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to be flexible to overtime, shift, and/or weekends on occasion to accomplish goals as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.