Refine Search Clear All
HVAC Mechanic I/II
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 06/16/2021
Job Code: 822.1 Air Conditioning Mech. I / 822.2 Air Conditioning Mech. II
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for HVAC Mechanics. You will perform specialized tasks in air conditioning, heating or ventilation and air conditioning/refrigeration (HVAC) controls maintenance, installation, and repair. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department and may be located at LLNL main site (Site 200) or at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Assist in installation, alteration, repair, operation, maintenance, adjustment and monitoring of chiller systems, air-conditioning and heating units; fans; ductwork systems including variable air-volume and dual-duct systems and the associated control systems (pneumatic, digital, and electronic); steam condensate and vacuum pumps, including recovery, recycling, and reclamation of refrigerants.
- Perform routine journey level maintenance on heat exchangers and controls for heating domestic and industrial hot water.
- Assist in piping repair and installation, related to the HVAC system, including drain lines.
- Inspect, operate, and repair low pressure boiler systems and related heating equipment.
- Assist in repairing and replacing pneumatic control lines and values relating to pressure reducing stations, radiators, heating and cooling coil control valves, unit heaters, boiler control, and thermostatic controls.
- Manage building conditions through the utilization of computerized energy/building management systems and equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 822.2 level
- Responsible for installation, alteration, repair, operation, maintenance, adjustment and monitoring of chiller systems, air-conditioning and heating units; fans; ductwork systems including variable air-volume and dual-duct systems and the associated control systems (pneumatic, digital, and electronic); steam condensate and vacuum pumps, including recovery, recycling, and reclamation of refrigerants.
- Repair and replace pneumatic control lines and values relating to pressure reducing stations, radiators, heating and cooling coil control valves, unit heaters, boiler control, and thermostatic controls.
- Provide test, adjust, and balancing services on air handling and hydronic systems in accordance with the National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB) procedural standards for testing, adjusting, and balancing of environmental systems, and manage building conditions through the utilization of computerized energy/building management systems and equipment.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and/or ventilation trade school or equivalent experience.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation trade.
- Experience or formal training in air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation systems.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret mechanical building construction drawings and manufacturer’s mechanical schematics to assist in maintenance, alterations and installations of HVAC equipment and systems.
- Basic knowledge of the mechanical national codes.
- Experience using hand and power tools and knowledge of layout and installation.
- Effective customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with clients and a multi-disciplinary team and the ability to effectively establish priorities and handle multiple tasks with changing priorities.
- Computer skills necessary to complete time reporting, web-based training and work orders.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver License.
Additional qualifications at the 822.2 level
- Intermediate to advanced journey level skills, knowledge and abilities and extensive experience in the air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and/or ventilation trades and the application of ES&H laws and regulations training.
- EPA Universal certification to work with refrigerants.
- Experience and knowledge of layout and installation of HVAC equipment along with the related mechanical codes.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL ES&H policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Automated Logic Systems, Trane, Metasys, and Invensys direct digital control systems.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in low temperature refrigeration.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.