Refine Search Clear All
Energy Conversion Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening within the Energy Conversion and Storage Group for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member. The Energy Conversion and Storage Group seeks to gain fundamental and practical insight into combustion processes through numerical simulations and experiments and develop predictive combustion models and software that are fast enough to impact the engine design cycle. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: fluid dynamics, reactive chemistry, numerical methods, and heterogeneous computing.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Pursue complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Reduce the time, resource cost, or increase accuracy of combustion simulations by designing efficient algorithms guided by applied mathematics and physics.
- Develop and apply numerical tools to simulate high efficiency clean combustion engine regimes and novel combustion systems by combining multidimensional fluid mechanics with chemical kinetics.
- Conduct detailed analysis of high efficiency clean combustion engine regimes and novel combustion processes.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: fluid dynamics, reactive chemistry, numerical methods, and heterogeneous computing.
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Comprehensive knowledge in analysis, modeling, and simulation tools (e.g. CFD, FEA).
- Ability to thrive autonomously; be pro-active in solving inevitable road blocks, have a persistent attitude, and self-train when necessary.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in writing technical reports, journal articles, and high-quality research proposals.
- Project management skills.
- Experience with C/C++, Python, Linux, GPUs, and parallel algorithm development.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.