Refine Search Clear All
Postdoctoral - Micro and Nano Technology
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work within our Micro & Nano Technology Section in the MEMS, Electronics and Photonic Technologies Group. You will collaborate with a team of Engineers and Scientists, both internally and externally, to complete research and development projects focused on building microfluidic thermal management systems and novel designs for laser systems to enable breakthrough performance in device power, brightness, and efficiency. The work entails mechanical design, fabrication and testing of complex experimental systems spanning optical, fluidic, thermal, and structural domains. In this role you will also publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research in and development of novel, high-power laser systems, including but not limited to: mechanical part and assembly design, microfabrication and development of new package designs and fabrication processes, development of new cooling architectures, and develop innovative mechanical solutions to complex problems.
- Work closely with an interdisciplinary team consisting of engineers, scientists, and technicians both at LLNL as well as outside of LLNL, to complete project goals.
- Fabricate, model, or characterize materials, devices, and systems. Perform bench testing and validation and organize, analyze, and present report results for an interdisciplinary team.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, or related field with strong mechanical intuition.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: microfabrication (e.g. lithography, thin-film deposition, plasma etch), sensor development and design, packaging, optical or opto-electronic instrumentation, thermal management.
- Ability to write and operate software (e.g., Python, MATLAB, SolidWorks, LabVIEW, or COMSOL) for hardware control, thermal and fluid modelling, data collection, and data analysis of experimental systems.
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, measurement, and data acquisition techniques, including developing innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of solid-state physics and the principles underlying light-emitting semiconductors.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now