Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Electrical Design Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: 334.1 Engineering Design Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering Design Associate to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is the home of the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. You will establish scope of work, provide innovative technical expertise in the areas of electro-mechanical design, documentation, and manufacturing. This will include solving a diversity of simple to complex technical problems, regularly collaborating with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel, both internal and external to NIF. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) within the Engineering directorate.
In this role you will
- Apply innovative technical expertise to develop, interpret and translate complex concepts into design solutions that address requirements and constraints.
- Translate solutions to generate detailed interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Develop and provide supporting documentation for design solutions that may include calculations, analysis, schedules, costing, and procedures.
- Capture design solutions using AutoCAD, Creo Schematics, Creo Parametric and GerbTool design software.
- Maintain documentation in PTC Windchill PLM CM (Configuration Management) system.
- Provide regular progress reporting to supervision reflecting effort and resource needs, schedule, job scope and work assignments.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and high-level technical personnel to independently formulate and develop advanced technical solutions to problems and participate in or lead design reviews.
- Provide technical lead responsibilities and direction to others in reviewing and checking the accuracy of the work of others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with Creo Parametric, Creo Schematics and AutoCAD.
- Experience working in PTC Windchill PLM CM (Configuration Management) system.
- Experience generating complex interconnection, wiring diagrams, cable assemblies, panel layouts, silkscreens, parametric assembly drawings (cable harnesses, electronic chassis, electronics racks, and sub-assemblies) and associated mechanical detail drawings while utilizing GD&T (ASME Y14.5).
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex design requirements, analyze involved systems (including experience with experimental systems) and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving complex design problems.
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact with multi-disciplinary teams in various roles as assignee, presenter, and mentor to others.
- Ability to multitask, with both individual effort and directing of others, with minimal supervision, and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to take independent action when warranted and act as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
Qualifications We Desire
- Working experience with Mentor Graphics software.
- Working experience with LabVIEW software.
- Working experience with MathCAD software.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.