Refine Search Clear All
High Pressure Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in laser-driven dynamic compression of condensed materials employing velocimetry and x-ray diffraction/imaging as in situ probes of material properties. You will contribute to experiments to understand the dynamic response of materials (crystal structure, equation-of-state, constitutive properties, and transport properties) using in-house tabletop experiments and large‑scale world-class laser facilities (such as the National Ignition Facility and the Laboratory for Laser Energetics). This position is in the Materials Dynamics and Kinetics group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Participate in the design, execution, and analysis of experiments for the purpose of studying the structure/chemistry/physics of dynamically compressed energetic materials.
- Conceive, plan, and write proposals for novel experiments.
- Coordinate efforts of the synthesis, part production, characterization, and transport of target materials.
- Function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Work as a collegial team member; freely share knowledge, information, analysis and techniques.
- Direct and participate in ongoing experiments conducted at off-site facilities.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or related field.
- Experience with in-situ measurements (e.g., optical or x-ray spectroscopies, x-ray diffraction or imaging).
- Knowledge in applied physics, high-pressure physics, condensed matter, geophysics, x-ray diffraction, x-ray spectroscopy, x-ray instrumentation, chemistry of energetic materials, or laboratory astrophysics.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail and as a member of a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature.
- Experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Ability to become an explosives handler.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser-driven dynamic compression, energetic materials (explosives), or high‑pressure high‑temperature regimes.
- Experience using simulation methods, hydrodynamics codes.
- Experience with computer programming with an emphasis on developing custom analytical routines.
- Experience with developing new experimental techniques and/or computer algorithms.
- Comprehensive understanding of condensed matter and/or high energy density (HED) physics.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.