Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening in the Materials and Non-Destructive Evaluation Section for an introductory level Welding Engineer or Welding Metallurgist to work as a part of a team responsible for welding and other joining methods for engineering metals and alloys. You will work under the mentorship of staff welding engineers and metallurgists to execute on experiments and activities in the areas of areas of welding, brazing, and other joining methods for metals and alloys. Other technical activities include development activities on alloys involving solidification, casting, metal additive manufacturing, and heat-treating processes. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide welding engineering support to develop welds for experimental components, including selection of weld process and filler metal selection.
- Provide creative solutions to technical problems involving the welding and joining of alloys by reviewing scientific and technical literature and experimental techniques.
- Disseminate results, including methods developed, and keep records used on welded assemblies.
- Work with and provide guidance to welders, technicians and performing joining using a variety of equipment.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and technicians to accomplish research goal.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from experiments and development activities on welding and other joining tasks.
- Participate and provide recommendations to weld equipment upgrades.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Welding Engineering, Metallurgy or closely related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in the design, fabrication, inspection and test of welded structures and pressure vessels.
- Experience with various welding processes.
- Experience with microstructural characterization techniques, and methods to evaluate welds.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience using CAD software e.g., Solidworks, for designing fixturing, and understanding thermal transfer.
- Familiar with welding codes and material specifications.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now