Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: 533.1 Technician-Mechanical / 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for Entry Level and Mid-Level Nondestructive Testing (NDT)/Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Technicians or Technologists to provide basic/moderately complex technical support for radiographic and/or ultrasonic operations utilizing various NDT/NDE systems. The selected candidates will work as part of the NDT/NDE team by providing technical support to a variety of Laboratory missions as needed. This work will involve being trained and certified to work with hazardous materials such as radioactive and explosives materials. If selected, you will utilize a variety of industrial x-ray (vs. isotope) techniques including radiographic film (RT), direct read flat panel detectors (DR), phosphor storage imaging plates (IP) computed radiography (CR), computed tomography (CT), and flash radiography (FXR) and/or ultrasonic techniques including phased array (PAUT), immersion and contact ultrasonics (UT). Occasional travel and overtime may be required. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either NDT/NDE level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher-level position, Mid-Level (NDT/NDE Level II).
At the Entry Level (533.1) role, the job responsibilities are:
- Work under close supervision to provide basic technical support to NDE staff.
- Apply basic knowledge of industrial x-ray equipment using radiographic film (RT)/phosphor storage imaging plates (IP), standard radiography, computed radiography (CR) and/or flash radiography (FXR), flat panel detectors for digital radiography (DR) and/or computed tomography (CT).
- Apply basic knowledge of industrial ultrasonic contact techniques.
- Perform basic equipment maintenance and system testing.
- Collect data using fundamental knowledge of NDT/NDE methods.
- Follow written/verbal operational and safety procedures.
- Practice good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas.
- Follow ES&H, security, and best business practice requirements and policies.
- Obtain and maintain training/qualification programs prior to working in/with hazardous areas and materials such as radioactive and explosives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At the Mid-Level (533.2) role, the additional job responsibilities are:
- Work under general supervision to provide general technical support to NDE staff and customers.
- Perform moderately complex NDE operations, maintenance, system testing and troubleshoot equipment.
- Provide general mechanical fabrication in support of NDE projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- An Associate degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience; or a technology related certificate or diploma with related work experience and related course work; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field that includes mechanical training.
- Completion of Level I classroom training requirements and passed the general examination(s) with ≥80% in Radiographic Testing (RT)/Ultrasonic Testing (UT) per the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) SNT-TC-1A or equivalent.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification(s) in RT/UT Level I/II per ASNT SNT-TC-1A or equivalent.
- Knowledge/use of industrial x-ray/ultrasonic methods and support equipment i.e., film processors, scanners, etc.
- Intermediate skills with hand and power tools, personal computers and software (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow documentation to perform basic NDE test methods.
- Possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. and work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the Mid-Level (533.2):
- Completion of Level II classroom training requirements and passed the general examination(s) with ≥80% in RT/UT per ASNT SNT-TC-1A or equivalent.
- Intermediate skills and experience interpreting NDE codes and techniques.
- Experience working with industrial x-ray/ultrasonic equipment and support equipment i.e., film processors, scanners, etc.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of moderately complex radiographic and ultrasonic techniques.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.