Refine Search Clear All
X-Ray Diagnostics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct and support experiments on the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and to develop new x-ray imaging techniques to provide improved emission and radiography measurements of inertial confinement fusion (ICF) experiments. Your research will push the boundaries of ICF physics understanding by using your skills to develop x-ray imaging diagnostics that excel in the sub-nanosecond time scale and micrometer size scales. Your work will include analysis of x-ray imaging data, development and support of x-ray imaging platforms on the NIF and related facilities, and developing procedures for alignment, fielding, and calibration of NIF imagers. Experience with x-ray diagnostics based on doubly-bent crystals is desirable. You will become part of the X-ray Diagnostics and Measurement Science (imaging) group, interacting with other physicists in NIF, the Physics Division of PLS, the NIF facility, management, other postdocs and sponsors across and outside the laboratory. This position is in the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Design and field advanced x-ray imaging microscopes for NIF, interacting with diagnostic experts and leads.
- Participate in the design and performance of experiments and conduct new experiments for the purpose of studying the physics of high temperature, high density plasmas and radiative processes.
- Participate in and develop calibration and analysis techniques for x-ray imaging diagnostics
- Develop and implement new models and computer algorithms to analyze imaging data
- Develop and use analytical models to describe and understand HED and ICF experiments
- Present work at relevant conferences and publish work in peer reviewed journals
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, x-ray optics, or related field or discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in x-ray plasma diagnostics, x-ray spectroscopy, laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, high energy density physics, applied physics, applied optics, or similar area.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience with computer programing in Python, Matlab, IDL, or similar data analysis techniques.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a diverse team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with x-ray diagnostics based on doubly-bent crystals (e.g. imaging, spectroscopy), and alignment or calibration of crystal optics.
- Experience with X-ray optics, Zone plates, or coded aperture imaging.
- Experience with radiography or generation of x-ray sources.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.