Refine Search Clear All
X-ray Detector Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer. You will be responsible for the design, development, testing, fielding, and ongoing management of new and existing Target Diagnostic Systems within the Target Area Science and Engineering (TASE) Detector Group, supporting the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF&PS). Technology areas include x-ray streak cameras, high-speed microchannel plate gated imagers, x-ray radiation detection, optical, and nuclear partial detection for imaging and spectroscopy, pulse dilation technology, Active Pixel Sensors (APS aka CMOS image sensor), CCD optical sensors, and radiation effects on electrical components and systems. This position will include daily maintenance and upgrades to fielded systems, system integration, technical project management, and systems engineering duties. This position may require up to 10%-time domestic travel to partner facilities. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Contribute and function as a team member to provide technical support to Integrated Product Teams (IPT).
- Provide engineering design support for electrical/electronic subsystems in diagnostics including participation in formal and informal engineering design reviews.
- Develop and execute test/calibration/characterization plans for detector systems that are of limited complexity and have well defined parameters; ; includes executing pre-defined short term (1-3 day) electrical component and system level tests at specialized partner organization's test facilities or within the NIF.
- Provide day-to-day engineering support for diagnostic system currently deployed in the NIF as the Responsible System Engineer (RSE), working under general direction.
- Contribute to project/program milestone completion and provide solutions to problems of limited complexity using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Assist in the successful installation and commissioning of new diagnostic systems in the NIF.
- Provide engineering solutions for existing and future diagnostic systems while developing methods to improve system reliability, maintainability, and availability using readily identifiable factors and fundamental knowledge.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Perform moderately complex to complex systems engineering analysis to determine requirements using broadly defined parameters.
- Develop detailed engineering solutions for existing and future diagnostic systems, including quality standards, publications and presentations, and participation in multidisciplinary design efforts.
- Provide solutions and in-depth analysis of various camera systems, sensor integration, and data transmission systems for us in the NIF or similar facilities.
- Provide engineering design support for electrical/electronic subsystems in diagnostics.
- Manage individual work scope for multiple projects simultaneously under limited direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience working with oscilloscopes, digital delay generators, network analyzers, or similar lab equipment.
- Fundamental knowledge of analog circuit design and digital circuit design at the component level.
- Experience with printed circuit board (PCB) layout, design including component selection and qualification (ADC, DACs, op-amps, and other standard board components)
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of and broad experience with moderately complex to complex technical project management including the use of gant charts and/or systems engineering.
- Proficiency and broad experience with scientific detector, vacuum, and high voltage (>100V) systems.
- Knowledge of small-scale lab automation (oscilloscopes, digital delay generators, power supplies, motor controllers, data acquisition systems, or similar) to accelerate the collection of test data.
- Broad experience using and expanding existing MATLAB, Python, SPICE, or LabVIEW, scripts/routines for analysis, parameter optimization and/or lab automation.
- Comprehensive experience with hands on testing and debugging of complex electronic hardware.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now