Refine Search Clear All
Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics Technologists (LEOT)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Sr Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics Technologists (LEOT). You will work in a multidisciplinary team to develop, deploy, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, and maintain complex laser systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide technical support in the design, development, and installation of new laser/optical systems under minimal supervision.
- Perform maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing systems.
- Generate and maintain system documentation including operations procedures and optical configuration drawings.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics.
- Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform developmental and experimental setups.
- Acquire complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems.
- Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser technology and processes and present data to a peer review team with recommendations.
- Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical systems.
- Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve complex problems, including interpretation of best practices, guidelines, techniques, and procedures, making recommendations as appropriate.
- Independently identify, analyze, and evaluate, and report results of complex Laser Electro Optic and Mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Advanced skills and complex understanding of high energy laser technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills with opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing. High-level technical skills and advanced knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems including the ability to interpret issues and make recommendations under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills and complex understanding of photonics/laser technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills with electrical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with electronic diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
- Experience working with classified material and experimental data.
- Experience working with and/or around high-voltage equipment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now