Refine Search Clear All
Dynamic Mechanical Properties Test Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Dynamic Mechanical Properties Test Engineer to support the Test Group. Work will be conducted in the High Explosives Applications Facility (HEAF) and occasionally in other experimental facilities at LLNL and various DOE user facilities. You will independently work on research and development in the area of dynamic mechanical property testing for a range of energetic materials using intermediate rate, high rate, and DMA methods. Tests will be conducted using advanced diagnostics such as digital image correlation (DIC). You will also be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for integrating the test data into modeling and simulation tools including the development of new models where needed. You will routinely interact with professional colleagues and managers in Physical Life Sciences, Engineering, and sponsors across and outside the laboratory. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work with a small team to design and conduct advanced intermediate and high strain-rate mechanical property testing of energetic materials in the form of tensile, compressive, and shear tests utilizing traditional and advanced diagnostics.
- Communicate intermediate/high-rate capabilities and new intermediate/high-rate opportunities to the research collaborators and sponsors.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in formal engineering design reviews.
- Provide solutions to problems of limited complexity that require the evaluation of readily identifiable factors using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Provide influence on the technical objectives related to the energetic materials dynamic mechanical testing in support of Engineering model development and refinement.
- Perform supporting engineering calculations for structural, thermal, and diagnostic system specification and design.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Work as a lead on a multidisciplinary team and monitor or direct activities of technical staff in dynamic energetic materials mechanical property testing.
- Serve as a technical contact on dynamic energetic materials mechanical property testing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) and coordinate complex program requirements in the intermediate/high-rate regime and deliverables for the sponsors and program managers.
- Exert influence on the technical objectives related to the energetic materials dynamic mechanical testing in support of engineering model development and refinement.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience with linear and nonlinear viscoelasticity theory, constitutive framework, and experience in performing intermediate to high strain rate experiments.
- Comprehensive knowledge and/or experience in one or more of the following areas performing intermediate to high strain rate experiments, general instrumentation (i.e. accelerometers, strain gages, thermo-couples, resistance thermal detectors (RTD’s), DIC, embedded quartz sensors, load cells), general data acquisition theory (Nyquist criterion, anti-aliasing, etc.).
- Ability to analyze data from mechanical property testing and compare results to historic and/or published data using MATLAB programming.
- Ability to manage schedules and budgets for ongoing activities and proposed development capabilities.
- Effective communication skills with proven ability to present technical concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and collaboration with other technical staff members.
- Ability to become a qualified explosives (a.k.a. energetic materials) handler.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of diagnostics, tools, and equipment used in dynamic mechanical property testing research.
- Ability to develop new research and development priorities and communicate these with advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.