Refine Search Clear All
Senior Project Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Senior Project Engineer in the Subcritical Experiments Program Working Group (PWG) within the Weapons Complex and Integration (WCI) Directorate. You will be responsible for planning and managing scope, schedule, and budget across multiple projects as well as participating in experiment execution as needed. You will assist the PWG Leader and the Integrated Experiment Team (IET) Leads in implementing efficient management and execution practices and developing strategies to address projects needs and support partner collaborations. You will be involved in assembly and experiment work throughout the Laboratory complex and at partner organization sites. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical guidance and project leadership for WCI PWG projects and teams with a focus on defining, developing, and executing complex hydrodynamic experiments, which involve hardware design, fabrication, assembly, testing, qualification, and fielding.
- Collaborate with teams of scientists, engineers, designers, technicians, coordinators, and procurement personnel to develop experimental plans and achieve project goals.
- Apply advanced systems engineering and project management principles to complex technical projects with a graded approach to balance available resources and project risks.
- Develop and manage schedules and budgets in support of current and proposed projects, and participate in working groups and design reviews, both internal and external, in support of experiment operations, engineering capability development, safety assessments and individual project lifecycles.
- Implement standards and controls for quality assurance and configuration management in support of manufacturing processes, engineered systems, documentation, and other deliverables.
- Assess work processes and implement changes to increase efficiencies within the PWG organization and in facilities where assembly and experimental work is performed.
- Train, mentor and oversee project controls staff and engineering team members in the implementation of test development plans, risk assessments and project management practices in accordance with WCI and Engineering policies.
- Carry out assignments in accordance with ES&H, Security, and LLNL business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Establish a vision and strategy for implementation of project management principles across all elements of the PWG.
- Lead project planning and fielding for experiments at test facilities throughout the Laboratory complex and coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary, multi-organization teams in successful project execution.
- Prepare and present PWG status reports to WCI and Engineering Program management and external partners as required, and utilize internal resources and build on existing programs to develop new, innovative capabilities, strengthen collaborations with partner organizations, and increase the impact of LLNL.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related area, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the processes involved in hardware design, fabrication, testing, qualification, and deployment.
- Significant experience in project management of complex, technical projects (especially R&D) including organizing, managing, and tracking scope, schedule, and budget.
- Significant experience assessing project risk and developing controls for managing project risk.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of complex problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Ability to effectively mentor, develop, lead and manage a multi-disciplinary project team of engineers, scientists, designers, technicians, and coordinators.
- Significant experience working and interacting with all levels of management.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Substantial experience leading, tracking, and budgeting projects, managing and resolving resource conflicts, managing projects that span across multiple organization and effectively achieving goals with a diverse, multi-organizational team through demonstrated leadership and influence.
- Substantial experience implementing an Integrated Safety Management program or an equivalent industry protocol and leading or participating in formal engineering design review processes.
- Expert communication skills, both verbal and written, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to interact effectively in a diverse research team environment, deliver effective presentations, and advise senior management and/or external partners.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Engineering, certification as a Project Management Professional and/or extensive equivalent project management experience.
- Experience interfacing with external customers or industrial partners, especially the Department of Energy (DOE).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.