Refine Search Clear All
Chemistry and Materials Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: 504.2 Technologist - C/MS / 504.3 Sr Technologist - C/MS
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Chemistry and Materials Technologist with a background in radioactive materials or hazardous chemicals. Experience with analysis equipment and/or instrumentation related to materials including radioactive or hazardous materials. You will provide technical support to scientists, engineers, and senior technical personnel for materials characterization, experimental development, data collection, and testing. This position is in the Joining Group of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical analysis and/or processing support.
- Measure, test, and analyze materials and substances following standard, and at times unique, procedures and techniques.
- Work with radioactive/hazardous materials, including the safe and effective operation & maintenance of gloveboxes and/or fume hoods
- Participate in design modifications for moderately complex experiments or processes.
- Use analytical and other instruments such as microscopes, metal powder characterization equipment, survey meters, and air sampling equipment.
- Maintain a detailed notebook of laboratory project processes and procedures.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 504.3 level
- Acquire and analyze complex experimental data and maintain accurate laboratory notebooks.
- Prepare summary reports, report results, identify problems, and suggest solutions for advanced technical problems.
- Develop processes, procedures, standard operating procedures, and qualification testing.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in Chemistry/Materials or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous related experience.
- General understanding of chemistry and materials.
- Intermediate skills and experience operating a variety of instruments and scientific equipment.
- Intermediate skills and experience analyzing basic experimental data and maintaining accurate laboratory notebooks.
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of standard software and database programs.
- Demonstrated effective communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills and a strong ability to work as part of a team. Also, able to work effectively with all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.
Additional qualifications at the 504.3 level
- Advanced knowledge chemistry and/or material science including analysis of moderately complex data and maintenance of accurate laboratory notebooks.
- Experience maintaining, calibrating, and performing measurements using scientific instruments.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to be respiratory protection qualified.
- Experience with HEPA systems, hoods, gloveboxes.
- Experience with CAD programs.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.