Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Division Leader, S&T - Materials Science Division
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Deputy Division Leader for Science and Technology (S&T). In this role, you will act as a nationally recognized expert focused on the quality, robustness, and relevance of the Division's scientific capabilities, as well as working with the Division Leader to develop the S&T portfolio for the Materials Science Division (MSD). You will provide scientific and administrative leadership for approximately 400 scientific and technical staff and will be responsible for ~ $8M+ budget. Interactions will span broadly across PLS with all senior directorate managers, and across the Laboratory with all directorates. The position is currently funded at 50% - 75% time; you will be expected to have programmatic funding covering the remainder of your time. This position is in MSD and will team closely with the Division Leader and the Deputy Division Leader for Operations.
In this role you will
- Formulate and execute short-term and long-term scientific strategic goals for the division as a member of the Division’s management team.
- Co-lead the MSD management team of approximately 17 group leaders and other supervisors in carrying out the day-to-day management tasks of the Division. These include supporting the Division in policy development, resource allocation, hiring plans, capital equipment plans, and serving as the primary contact between MSD Management Division members.
- Serve as the technical leader to strategically plan for capability and personnel development, including the leveraging of LDRD projects and potential project development with external science-based sponsors. This includes responsibility for maintaining high scientific quality in all such research.
- Champion, develop, and apply the Division's scientific capabilities by managing state-of-the-art and effective equipment utilization, modelling and code development.
- Provide scientific leadership by coaching and supporting group members administratively and technically regarding training and professional development, mentoring, and collaboration between programs through technical guidance.
- Support the Division leader in identifying solutions to programmatic scientific needs.
- Participate in Directorate-wide activities to provide strategic direction of investment in capabilities.
- Represent MSD to organizations inside and outside LLNL through written reports and presentations.
- Serve as a primary point of contact in S&T communications between group members, Division and Directorate management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Material Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Subject matter expert and extensive experience in at least one of the core scientific competencies in MSD, which include Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Synthesis and Processing, Computational Material Science, Energetic Materials, and Laser-Material Interactions.
- Extensive experience in a Division or higher level scientific management position, with excellent communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Extensive experience managing and directing scientific growth in material science, chemistry and/or chemical engineering, with technical leadership or management experience in a research and development environment or both, including project or program planning, budget, and personnel administration.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals with diverse backgrounds to achieve program goals in a timely manner.
- Expert technical and managerial leadership skills with the ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build highly complex interdisciplinary teams to work toward programmatic and institutional goals.
- Extensive problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend, and develop solutions on a wide variety of technical and programmatic issues.
- Proven success developing funded research especially in the DOE community.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with recruiting, hiring, staff development, and salary management.
- Ability to travel to national and international meetings.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.