Refine Search Clear All
Laser Material Interaction Science - Group Leader- Active Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Group Leader (GL) to provide scientific and administrative leadership to a team of scientific staff, postdocs, students, and interns. You will work with the Materials Science Division and the Directorate leadership to coordinate group staffing and recruiting, research directions, and resources to carry out fundamental and applied research in areas related to optical materials, laser-material interaction science, and the applications of lasers that are relevant to the national security missions of LLNL. This position requires you to have funding to cover the majority of your own time through programmatic and other direct funding sources. This position is in the Laser Material Science Group of the Materials Science Division (MSD).
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide leadership and technical guidance, including scientific and programmatic direction, to a diverse group of scientists.
- Develop a robust and sustainable program in optical material science, optical damage, and laser-material interaction science with an emphasis on advanced optical systems and applications of lasers to national security problems.
- Provide leadership through strategic planning, effective hiring, staff mentoring, performance management, and effective delivery on projects deliverables.
- Develop and maintain a close interaction with NIF & Photon Science program managers and other sponsors to ensure effective scientific support and teamwork to support the growth of the lab’s laser and optical S&T core capability.
- Develop and obtain internal funding paths to support new scientific programs and research proposals.
- Foster interactions that advance strategic goals with colleagues and institutions in both domestic and international science communities, such as academia, industry and government institutions.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for communications between group members and senior management.
- Mentor technical staff to promote professional development and conduct staff and performance management activities in collaboration with MSD Management, including succession planning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SEL.5 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Guide and provide scientific and technical direction in the laser material science and optics areas through development and application projects including LDRD and internally/externally funded activities.
- Successfully secure external funding to support new scientific programs and research proposals.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- PhD in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience and subject matter expertise in research and development related to material science, optical materials, optical damage, laser systems, and laser-material interaction science with an emphasis on advanced laser systems and the application of lasers for national security applications.
- Expert leadership skills and experience supervising others in a technical environment.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas, as well as to influence employees and all levels of management.
- Significant experience in developing and successful management of new scientific programs and research proposals for LDRD and external funding.
- Ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build highly complex interdisciplinary teams to work towards programmatic and institutional goals.
- Significant experience working effectively as part of a management team on behalf of the division, directorate, and Laboratory.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Nationally recognized expert in optical material science and laser-material interaction science.
- Extensive experience and expert ability to apply, lead, and develop cutting-edge techniques to address research challenges in materials science and/or condensed matter physics.
- Extensive experience guiding and providing strategic direction for projects to a diverse group of scientists, using demonstrated expert level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications we desire
- In-depth knowledge of one or more program sponsors.
- Familiarity with MSD personnel and projects and with NIF&PS personnel and projects.
- Experience with multi-disciplinary program building and proposal writing, including developing collaborative efforts involving theory, simulation, and experiment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.