Refine Search Clear All
Service Operations Specialist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: A07.1 Service Operations Spec 1 / A07.2 Service Operations Spec 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Service Operations Specialist. Under limited supervision, you will perform a full range of moderately difficult administrative and task-oriented administrative assignments in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. You will interface with researchers in a R&D environment in support of the Laboratory’s programs. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division (BBTD).
This position will be filled at either the A07.1 or A07.2 level depending on qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Perform day-to-day BBTD Central Services operations including the following: autoclave operations, glassware cleaning, supplies orders and inventory, resolving daily service operations problems, and maintaining the contracts with external providers for calibration and maintenance.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for autoclave operations and other activities.
- Assess safety concerns and expedite and/or facilitate resolutions, serve as the Responsible Individual (RI) for work control documents related to the BBTD Central Services activities, and participate in weekly meetings, BBTD Central Services walkthroughs and inspections.
- Write operating procedures related to BBTD Central Service and train Central Service Staff.
- Serve as a resource to the BBTD Technical Point of Contact for the external Steris Contract, division backup refrigerator and freezer units, and other contracts related to Central Services operations, and for the Alameda County Annual Medical Waste Permit Inspection.
- Responsible Individual (RI) for IWS 15187, PWS for Steris Autoclave Services; and responsible for (2) WCDs, WCD 100130 B360Complex Central Services Operations and Alternate Responsible Individual (Alt-RI) WCD 100688, BBTD Emergency Eyewash/Shower Checks and Freezer/Refrigerator Protocols
- Assist in performing a variety of routine laboratory animal husbandry procedures under general direction of the Animal Care Facility Manager such as equipment, caging, or facility sanitation, animal husbandry, and preparing caging and maintenance for animal rooms.
- Establish and maintain working relationship with ES&H staff, Animal Care Staff, and Facility Management staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the A07.2 Level you will:
- Provide suggestions for revising and updating the Standard Operating Procedures and research and resolve operations and contract issues.
- Interface with internal customers and external vendors, providing reports to the supervisor related to Central Service-related purchases. These reports assist with budget management and review. Additionally, serve as the TRR for orders related to the biosafety re-certifications, and the technical contact for the Steris (vendor) contracts.
- Assist in providing direction to staff in the BBTD Central Services operations.
- Bachelor’s in Animal Science, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental concepts and techniques in animal management and biology.
- Ability to use equipment and trouble-shoot malfunctions, such as autoclaves (washing or sterilization units).
- Fundamental computer skills including knowledge of computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office Suite and database and calendaring software, and the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Strong communication, customer services, interpersonal and teamwork skills and abilities.
- Ability to take initiative and work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to manage scheduling conflicts and work weekends and holidays, as required.
Additional qualifications at the A07.2 Level:
- Lead projects with rodent handling and dosing following strict work control processes and worker safety procedures.
- Ability to work under limited supervision in an environment of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now