Refine Search Clear All
Program Leader for Nonproliferation and Arms Control - Active Clearance Required
Executive | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for Program Leader for Nonproliferation and Arms Control (NPAC). In this role, you will collaborate with a dynamic team of program leaders, collaborators, and technical staff to develop and execute strategic initiatives to support our nuclear threat reduction mission. The NPAC Program’s focus is on development and support of international safeguards, export controls, nuclear verification and treaty compliance, and nonproliferation policy, all with an aim of preventing nuclear proliferation. Efforts in the program are focused around policy analysis, technical development, intelligence, international engagement, and software development. This position programmatically reports to both N and Z Programs in the Global Security Organization.
In This Role You Will
- Manage the development and execution of a broad portfolio of nonproliferation and arms control projects and programs, including developing new program initiatives, directing research, engaging the sponsor base, and managing a large budget (i.e., ~$20M+).
- Serve as a senior member of N & Z Program’s leadership team, collaborate, and attend regular meetings with managers and leaders from across the organization, and participate in strategic plan development and implementation to fulfill LLNL’s nuclear threat reduction strategy to meet the needs of the Nation.
- Develop and foster long-lasting relationships with sponsors from the Department of Energy (DOE)/National Nuclear Security Administrations (NNSAs), Department of State (DoS), U.S. Intelligence Community (IC), and other agencies to identify and understand national and international requirements as they relate to current and/or future programs and goals.
- Manage and mentor a diverse staff of scientific, technical and support personnel; this includes delegating assignments via technical managers and leads, establishing workplans, performance management and determining staffing requirements.
- Promote and maintain a positive image of the Laboratory and strong internal/external customer relationships by ensuring project and program objectives and commitments are met successfully.
- Cultivate effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with universities and external industry to meet the strategic needs of current and future programs. Utilize these partnerships to foster a pipeline of workforce talent, projects, technology, and educational advancement.
- Manage and coordinate NPAC related proposal submissions for the Laboratory to ensure consistency, quality, and mission/vision alignment in partnership with other senior managers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- Master’s Degree in a technology or policy field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, with advanced knowledge of nuclear fuel cycles, nuclear weapons physics and design, weapons engineering, and testing, and with special focus on technologies associated with the detection of nuclear weapons.
- Extensive experience working on national nonproliferation and security policy issues.
- Significant experience managing multi-million-dollar budgets and effectively balancing complex technical and budgetary priorities. Advanced program management skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver successful results.
- Significant experience with managerial practices related to performance reviews, salary management, and recognition and/or disciplinary actions. Experience managing issues that affect facility management, safety, and regulatory compliance effectively.
- Expert problem solving, analytical, technical, communications, and organizational skills to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions and effectively influence all levels of management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, motivate, and delegate effectively while building diverse and inclusive interdisciplinary teams to achieve programmatic and institutional goals.
- Experience cultivating successful and productive relationships with external clients/sponsors and the expert collaboration skills needed to effectively develop and sustain partnerships with other programs, directorates, laboratories, University of California, NNSA management, other institutions across the DOE, DoS, IC, and external advisors and reviewers.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. in a technology or policy field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge, with advanced knowledge of nuclear materials fuel cycles, nuclear weapons physics and design, and weapons engineering and testing, with special focus on technologies associated with the detection of nuclear weapons.
- Established working relationships in the Intelligence Community.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now