Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking highly qualified scientists and engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of systems analysts supporting a variety of application areas such as Cyber Security, Infrastructure Resilience, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems and Climate Resilience. You will apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to understand multi-domain problem areas and provide decision insight, communicate options and trade-offs, and facilitates the integration of new technology in support of customer missions. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to solutions requiring the creative use of innovation methods by collaborating with scientists and researchers across a variety of technical disciplines.
- Participate in the creation of analytical frameworks and evaluate competing characteristics to determine solutions that most effectively meet customer and stakeholder objectives.
- Provide decision insight to project leads and stakeholders in moderately complex problem areas.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply physical and computational simulation to gain insight into moderately complex systems.
- Partner with other LLNL scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL programs.
- Communicate technical concepts of intermediate complexity to project leadership and internal stakeholders in a concise effective way.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within scope of the assignment.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Routinely serve as a technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in engineering, physical science, computer sciences, related fields or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following analysis techniques: modeling and simulation, risk analysis, data analytics or other analytical tools that can be leveraged to evaluate complex systems and inform decisions.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: cyber security, intelligence analysis, energy systems, infrastructure protection, or other related discipline.
- Ability to approach problems with enthusiasm, creativity, and flexibility to change focus when necessary.
- Analytical, problem solving and decision making skills to develop creative solutions to modestly complex problems.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and communicate technical information, document work, and contribute to proposals and high quality research papers.
- Ability to travel off site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in the application and development in one or more of the following areas: modeling and simulation, risk analysis, data analytics or other analytical tools that can be leveraged to evaluate complex systems and inform decisions.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information to a variety of audiences.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree in engineering, physical science, computer sciences, related fields or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience working with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, Intelligence Community and/or the Department of Defense.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.