Refine Search Clear All
Pit Surveillance Engineering Technical Associate - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Pit Surveillance Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate. You will be a crucial representative of LLNL on design agency (DA) matters of the applied management of the nation’s stockpile of pits at CNS Pantex. This includes pit surveillance for stockpile sustainment as well as an array of activities related to evaluating, packaging, storing, general planning, and other activities related to pits from both enduring and historical “legacy” weapon systems. You will apply your technical and leadership skills to fulfill DA responsibilities related to definition, coordination, and evaluation of these processes and their associated diagnostics. You will serve as a central interface across multidisciplinary WTE staff supporting surveillance, enduring weapon systems, and numerous other areas. You will be a formally identified external point of contact (POC) for enduring and legacy pits on behalf of WTE and LLNL. You will routinely represent LLNL externally, including regular travel (up to 25%) as part of production agency interfacing and technical collaborations with counterparts across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE). This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop procedural expertise across pit non-destructive evaluation, handling, packaging, storage, and facilities.
- Conduct process and design evaluation, review, oversight, while ensuring LLNL and NNSA quality policies are implemented and documented in support of various Pit surveillance processes.
- Develop original solutions to complex technical problems, determining appropriate work methods, and establishing priorities to meet programmatic requirements.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to satisfy various LLNL design agency responsibilities related to weapons complex integration.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to production agencies, making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Serve as a recognized process subject matter expert and leader across the NSE in matters related to maintenance, storage, and evaluation of all stored pits at Pantex.
- Have an advanced vision for recognizing process improvements related to pit activities, and determination, leadership, and applied “know-how” to realize these improvements.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or equivalent combination of education and significant experience in a related technical discipline.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience working with classified materials, experimental data, and documentation.
- Significant experience with engineering design, advanced fabrication, and assembly techniques directly applicable to pit surveillance and storage management matters.
- Ability to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate with the LLNL weapons program, NSE sites, and federal management staff.
- Significant experience exercising a high degree of independent judgment and discretion in directing and guiding staff to fulfill programmatic deliverables.
- Ability to travel regularly (up to 25%).
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Exceptional communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise sponsors, management, and collaborators.
- Extensive experience leading multi-disciplinary teams in the execution of experiments for gathering scientific data.
- Highly advanced knowledge of requirements for managing product acceptance and quality assurance documentation.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with any of the following: radiography and / or computed tomography; mechanical design, GD&T, and dimensional inspection techniques; vacuum system design, development, and troubleshooting; gas analysis processes, mass spectrometry in particular; applied experience related to metals engineering: common machining processes, welding, and chemistry and metallographic evaluations.
- Quality assurance documentation skills in an engineering environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.