Refine Search Clear All
Supervisor - LSEO System Design & Integration Group
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering Design Supervisor to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. The group is composed of engineering designers where you will have a critical role in fostering successful careers, creating a positive and inclusive working environment, and providing an outstanding and diverse staff to meet program needs. You will work independently by collaborating with scientists, engineers, and top-level technical personnel to provide advanced technical and management expertise in NIF. You will establish scope of work, provide advanced technical expertise in the areas of mechanical or electrical design fields, while having administrative supervisory authority. In addition to the Supervisor role, you will be expected to maintain a full-time programmatic designer role/assignment in the NIF & PS Directorate. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) within the Engineering directorate.
In this role you will
- Lead, supervise, and provide technical and administrative guidance to group members.
- Write performance appraisals, provide promotion recommendations, participate in the LSEO division ranking and salary management processes and monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables, and lead corrective actions where necessary including disciplinary issues.
- Collaborate with the NIF&PS Directorate leaders to identify and manage the work assignments for group members, define work objectives, and obtain ongoing performance feedback.
- Advise and evaluate staff on the execution of technical work, provide performance feedback, identify staff networking opportunities, provide training and coaching, and facilitate regular career growth and development discussions, including plans and goals.
- Monitor and influence the work environment to foster employee morale and well-being; recruit, hire, mentor, and retain outstanding technical staff.
- Manage workforce projection working with programmatic managers to meet staff availability and training needs, using this information to help develop a vision for the group.
- Direct teams and individuals to perform work safely and consistent with program objectives.
- Apply innovative technical expertise to the development and design of complex NIF electronic or mechanical engineering including ability to use Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Product Lifecyle Management (PLM) systems.
- Present, author, critically review, and oversee the development of formal written documentation.
- Plan, organize, and lead multiple complex to highly complex projects.
- Provide technical advice and direction to mentor and lead designers, making decisions using independent discretion and judgment.
- Participate in strategic planning, organization, and budgeting with senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of engineering technology or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant technical and leadership expertise in one or more of the following: mechanical, electronics, electro-mechanical, or electro-optic design fields.
- Ability to make frequent decisions using independent discretion and judgment to provide original solutions, establishing, or modifying guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Interpersonal skills to lead/supervise project teams, mentor, negotiate win-win solutions, team building, and provide customer service.
- Ability to manage emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome setbacks, and defuse conflict.
- Advanced verbal and written communication, presentation, and feedback skills in multiple technical areas including strong formalized reporting skills.
- Significant experience providing advanced technical direction to others.
- Significant experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment effectively involving simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience managing safety in a laboratory or production environment while interacting with and satisfying customer needs in a highly technical setting.
- Highly organized, reliable, and dependable with an ability to manage/supervise a variety of concurrent activities.
- Experience in payroll supervision, preparation of performance reviews, ranking and salary management, and knowledge of Engineering Directorate policies and procedures.
- Experience with Creo Parametric, AutoCAD, PTC Windchill, and/or Mentor Graphics PADS software.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.