Refine Search Clear All
Machine Tool Services (MTS) Supervisor
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor / 390.2 Senior Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Machine Tool Services Group Supervisor. You will be responsible for the organization and cost-effective utilization of the work force, equipment and materials, and for personnel actions. You will be responsible for scheduling, establishing priorities, and analyzing skills mix of a multi-disciplined workforce for job assignments, solving Machine Tool Services technical problems, budget management, and monitoring ES&H requirements. This position is in the Machine Tool Services Group within the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide daily technical leadership and administrative supervision of the work center/teams including work planning, setting priorities, assigning daily work assignments, writing performance appraisals, career development, training, salary, ranking, promotion recommendations, and disciplinary issues.
- Oversee the cost-effective maintenance, service, and repairs of manufacturing equipment through a multi-disciplined team of mechanics, electricians, and electronics repair personnel.
- Direct and contribute technically to the proper handling of potentially contaminated radioactive and toxic equipment, while providing safety oversight as the Machine Tool Services work control Responsible Individual (RI).
- Develop and implement strategic work center planning including quality and work flow processes, tools, and equipment acquisition/repair/maintenance, workforce, and budgetary management.
- Interface closely with LLNL program and/or facility managers, technical contacts, and project engineers.
- Analyze and interpret complex administrative, technical, and budgetary information related to project objectives and translate them into project plans, job requirements, and work assignments.
- Make decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment and resolve multi-project/program requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 390.2 Level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related administrative expertise in the areas of manufacturing and industrial technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Represent division and program at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s (BS) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Machine Tool Technology, Manufacturing Technology, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with machine tool maintenance within manufacturing operations including machine metrology, control systems, preventative maintenance, machine installation, service, re-build, and disposal.
- Experience with general manufacturing processes and operations including machining, dimensional inspection, welding, sheet metal, metal forming, laser cutting/welding, and plating.
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility with minimal instruction and supervision, and demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment in high-consequence safety environment, solving moderately complex problems in a multi-tasked environment.
- Significant experience in project planning, budgeting, and workforce planning.
- Demonstrated ability to work with, provide technical direction, and effectively lead a multidisciplinary team with a commitment to technical excellence, performance, quality, cost, and schedule.
- Effective written, verbal, presentation, and feedback communication skills in multiple technical areas.
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA, NFPA, and codes related to machine tools and equipment installations and servicing.
Additional qualifications at the 390.2 Level
- Extensive experience working effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team and experience working independently on a self-directed basis.
- Highly advanced technical leadership skills and experience leading and/or directing the technical work of others; developing schedules, determining technical support level requirements, managing and changing workloads and priorities; and performance and personnel management.
- Advanced verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively explain, present, and advise all levels of personnel, senior managers, the scientific community, regulatory agencies, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Supervisory experience including performance and personnel management.
- Advanced knowledge of LLNL’s work control and integrated safety management processes and resources.
- Familiar with MED's fabrication control system (COSMOS) relative to job planning, estimating, scheduling, and routing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.