Refine Search Clear All
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Environmental Analyst to support within the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate, Waste and Air Quality Office. You will provide environmental regulatory compliance support in hazardous waste programs as well as support to the Environmental Functional Area (EFA).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced environmental support to LLNL programs, in collaboration with senior staff members.
- Provide advanced technical support to ensure compliance with state and federal environmental regulations, specifically the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA), California Hazardous Waste Control Law (CA HWCL), and associated California Health and Safety Codes.
- Coordinate and participate in regulatory inspections, audits, and site verifications by internal and external agencies.
- Provide interpretation and guidance of complex environmental regulations.
- Prepare detailed permit applications and technical regulatory reports, under limited direction of an environmental subject matter expert (SME).
- Perform data analysis including statistical analysis of environmental data; maintain spreadsheets and databases.
- Provide technical and regulatory support to other organizations within the ES&H Directorate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Serve as a primary technical contact for environmental regulatory compliance and interpret highly complex environmental regulations and legislation, negotiate the best compliance solution with regulators, prepare detailed applications and permit related documents and serve as a resource and/or collaborate with LLNL programs.
- Analyze proposed federal, state, and local environmental regulations and DOE requirements on orders for legal and potential impacts to LLNL operations.
- Conduct highly complex environmental analyses and audits of operations and facilities to identify potential environmental issues and recommend solutions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Physical, Chemical, Biological or Environmental Sciences, Engineering or related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and relevant experience.
- Significant knowledge and experience in hazardous waste regulations.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting, and assessing compliance of complex environmental regulations and recommending solutions.
- Advanced experience conducting audits and compliance inspections.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively present, explain and communicate complex technical information to all levels of personnel and management.
- Analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service, and good follow-through.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people including effective interpersonal skills with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact, discretion, and mature judgment.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Highly advanced knowledge and significant experience in hazardous waste programs.
- Significant experience managing highly complex projects.
- Highly advanced experience analyzing, interpreting, and assessing compliance with complex environmental regulations and recommending and implementing solutions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in engineering, environmental science, or related field.
- Experience with CA HWCL regulations pertaining to RCRA Permitted Facilities (Full Part A and Part B for LLNL’s Treatment Storage and Disposal Facilities).
- Knowledge and experience with California’s Medical Waste Management Act.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.