Refine Search Clear All
Web Content Writer/Strategist
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: G04.2 Tech Communications Spec 2 / G04.3 Tech Communications Spec 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Web Content Editor/Strategist on the Web team in the Technical Information Department (TID) which supports customers throughout LLNL with their web content creation and overall website communication goals and strategies. In this role, you will be involved in developing content for new initiatives and be responsible for a high volume of content updates. We’re seeking a strong writer and editor with experience in project management along with a keen eye for detail, a passion for content integrity and user experience, intermediate knowledge of HTML, and the ability to work within a Content Management System (CMS).
This position will be filled at either the G04.2 or G04.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Write, rewrite, and/or edit complex technical and possibly sensitive information into clear, direct, and engaging web copy.
- Work with subject matter experts to develop and update content, articulating key messages in a way that users will understand.
- Perform basic HTML editing using text editors and content management systems such as Dreamweaver, Drupal, Liferay, and WordPress.
- Develop UX-based information architecture for complex websites, and work with designer to integrate content with designs.
- Conduct user research to analyze the effectiveness of the design and information architecture of websites.
- Work with subject matter experts and managers to plan new or revised websites, including suggesting site structure and content organization and guide content development for new pages or sites.
- Work with customers to develop a content strategy and governance for the ongoing maintenance of their websites to maintain the integrity of the architecture and usability of the site.
- Work closely with web designers and front-end developers to explain complex content needs and how users need to access/interact with content.
- Work effectively with LLNL staff members of all levels in support of TID customers and their communications needs.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the G04.3
- Establish commitments on large, complex communication products and manage competing project schedules, track production costs, and coordinate the work of others.
- Define technical communications strategies, messages, audiences, and key deliverables for a variety of projects; review work of team members and provide technical guidance to less-experienced peers.
- Recommend appropriate media/display styles for content, test electronic materials on appropriate platforms and with appropriate software, and determine website hierarchy for complex, multilayered sites.
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new tools, technologies, and processes; help develop metrics and process improvement methods; may represent organization on working groups or committees.
- Coordinate complex projects, with a multi-disciplinary team, establishing timelines, assigning, and overseeing tasks, liaising with customers and other departments, and delivering products on time and to a high degree of quality.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, engineering or scientific area, or the equivalent combination of education and experience in the area of technical communication.
- Experience planning, developing, organizing, and writing content effectively, in order to convey both substance and intent with accuracy across various types of communication platforms.
- Experience editing complex and/or technical subject matter.
- Experience leading production and technical writing and editing assignments and projects and coordinating with other communications professionals.
- Comprehensive knowledge of editorial standards, technical language, and effective web communication/language, usage, and style conventions.
- Excellent customer service skills and advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated and flexible, including effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Experience with content management systems (particularly Drupal), CSS, and Bootstrap; knowledge of web accessibility standards, including W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Revised 508 Standards; experience conducting usability testing; experience with Microsoft Office.
Additional qualifications at the G04.3 level
- Experience leading complex multi-functional technical communication projects and teams with multiple technical groups, including establishing team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality.
- Experience collaborating with and communicating with all levels of an organization, including senior managers, to meet organizational/programmatic objectives.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using style conventions, professional principles, and technical communication practices and standards including experience writing or modifying HTML with Dreamweaver or similar html editor tools.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with UX principles, user research and user testing.
- Experience with social media.
- Experience editing/writing in multiple scientific or technical areas.
Reposted position. Originally posted on 02/09/2021. Previous candidates need not reapply.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.