Refine Search Clear All
Biomedical Scientist - Microbiology/Molecular Biology
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an entry level Biomedical Scientist with experience in Microbiology and/or Molecular biology. You will support pandemic response and preparedness by characterizing antibodies and antigens through a variety of biochemical and cell-based assays to identify the next generation of therapeutics and vaccines. As part of a multidisciplinary team, expect to learn new skills and be able to implement them independently. We value diverse perspective and strongly encourage applications from historically underrepresented groups. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will:
- Learn and conduct biochemical and protein binding assays such as SDS-PAGE, ELISA, and protease activity assays.
- Assist and perform expression of antigens and antibodies using mammalian expression systems.
- Maintain cell lines and perform experiments using viral and cell cultures.
- Provide solutions to problems that require creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Maintain a clear and detailed laboratory notebook and communicate results with relevant team members.
- Contribute to basic lab maintenance (maintaining reagent and consumable inventory, waste removal, equipment maintenance and calibration, organization, etc.)
- Participate in preparing for annual safety inspections and maintaining a safe laboratory environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques (e.g., accurate micropipetting, plasmid DNA purification, quantification of DNA/protein/etc.)
- Familiarity with some advanced molecular biology techniques (e.g., ELISA, microscopy, protein purification, SDS PAGE, immunostaining, immunoprecipitation).
- Proficient verbal communication and interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Demonstrated time management and advance planning to work successfully across multiple projects or teams with independent deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to acquire new skills and gain proficiency to work independently.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and able to work both independently and as a team.
- Proficient with common software (e.g., Microsoft Office applications) and able to quickly learn new software.
Qualifications we desire:
- Knowledge of and experience with sterile techniques, culturing and maintenance of microbiological and tissue cultures, and media preparation.
- Experience with advanced molecular biology techniques (e.g., ELISA, microscopy, protein purification, SDS PAGE, immunostaining, immunoprecipitation).
- Experience in Biosafety Level 2 laboratory.
- Ability to work and troubleshoot independently.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now