Refine Search Clear All
Project Management and Operations Engineer - Materials Engineering Division
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Project Engineers to ensure projects are executed efficiently and in compliance with requirements. You will be a trusted resource to our projects to help successfully navigate through a diverse range of laws, regulations and requirements in broad facility types, security levels and projects while working closely with senior management, external vendors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders on various projects. You will be responsible for the organization and cost- effective utilization of work force, equipment, and materials. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
These positions will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Gather engineering, technical, and functional requirements that are broadly defined from multiple stakeholders to develop detailed designs, project scope, costs, schedules, and risk mitigation in support of moderately complex to complex engineering efforts.
- Apply engineering and technical knowledge to develop and implement rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful execution of projects including establishing priorities and performing workforce resourcing analysis.
- Monitor defined project schedules by tracking project progress and providing regular updates to Project Leader regarding milestones, plans and moderately complex to complex resourcing/ technical problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirements and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Collaborate with mission support organizations in operations and business (O&B), environmental safety and health (ES&H), and science, technology, and engineering (ST&E) to ensure successful project execution.
- May represent the engineering team on technical and administrative reviews that assess moderately complex to complex experiments.
- Implement project interfaces with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Work with technical requirements that are complex and may not be well defined to translate into advanced project plans, including setting objectives independently, under minimal direction and providing advice to management regarding issues of advanced complexity.
- Lead a team of specialists consisting of supply chain management (procurement), facility operations, ES&H, the Programs, and technical SME’s while also providing mentorship to other junior level staff as appropriate.
- May contribute to supervisory and technical leadership of the work center/team including work planning, setting priorities, career development, training, writing performance appraisals, promotion recommendations and disciplinary issues.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or science, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Broad experience and comprehensive knowledge with project management, project engineering, or project planning experience including scope, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering and scientific principles needed to solve moderately complex to complex problems using broadly defined guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Broad experience and knowledge in mechanical, chemical and/or materials engineering or related fields and broad experience and knowledge in project planning, scheduling, change control, including use of project management tools and prior experience using Microsoft Office tools to successfully execute technical projects.
- Experience developing and implementing solutions to a diverse range of moderately complex to complex problems under limited direction.
- Experience with monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables including providing guidance for corrective actions where necessary.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to coordinate moderately complex to complex work and milestones on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience working with technical requirements that are complex and may not be well defined.
- Ability and skills needed to set objectives in support of advanced level technical projects.
- Significant experience working independently, providing advice on issues of advanced complexity which may also include providing mentorship to others.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now