Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Facility Electrical System Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Facility Electrical System Engineer to apply advanced technical knowledge in support of ongoing operations and modifications in three DOE Hazard Category 3 and several Hazard Category 2 nuclear facilities. You will apply advanced technical knowledge in the electrical engineering area to develop conceptual ideas into workable and cost-effective solutions that support research and programmatic investigations of nuclear materials. This position is in the Weapons and Complex Integration Program/Nuclear Facility System Engineering, Maintenance, and Projects organization.
In this role you will
- Lead others in the development of solutions and approaches to complex problems and issues necessary to support facility operations, maintenance, and equipment troubleshooting using sound engineering judgment and advanced electrical engineering knowledge.
- Develop and lead the technical review of facility electrical system related procedures and work instructions to ensure technical adequacy and ease of implementation.
- Develop project design and other documents for operations, maintenance, and testing and provide solutions for complex electrical engineering problems.
- Provide electrical engineering technical support for the repair, modification, and operation of assigned systems (i.e., emergency and normal electrical power systems).
- Identify, monitor, and provide recommendations for the timely procurement and assurance of adequate inventory of spare parts for assigned electrical systems.
- Monitor the operational status of assigned electrical systems in order to anticipate the need for maintenance, repair, or replacement of components due to wear or aging, and prepare detailed reports to facility management on the findings.
- Conduct reviews and provide advice to mid-level internal management, customers, and colleagues on hazards analysis, Documented Safety Analysis, and other safety, health, and environmental documentation activities in assigned areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent level of education and related technical experience.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical engineering standards and practices.
- Significant experience in the design, operation, troubleshooting, and/or maintenance of facility electrical systems that may involve complex technical issues.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience developing and reviewing calculations and specifications, drawings and sketches, and determining design criteria for facility electrical modifications, renovations, and upgrades on small projects and occasional larger projects.
- Ability to identify, develop and effectively communicate recommendations to facility and senior management regarding facility and safety equipment modifications with proven record of ability to implement recommendations.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment which includes scientists, engineers, and technicians, and advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
- Experience in an electrical engineering or related discipline in a high-hazard environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.