Refine Search Clear All
X-Ray Detectors - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of high- energy-density (HED) and Inertial-Confinement-Fusion (ICF) physics, plasma physics and high intensity laser-matter interactions. We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic and dedicated person to develop, test and implement improvements for our existing and planned ultra-fast x-ray diagnostics for energies between 10-50keV. The work also involves finding and implementing new techniques as well as sources for calibration measurements. This position is in the X-ray Measurement & Diagnostic Science (Detection) group in the High Energy Density Science Section of the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Develop, test and implement improvements for existing and planned x-ray diagnostics and implement techniques and sources for calibration measurements.
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at the NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of x-ray diagnostics and detectors.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Coordinate with engineers, technicians and people from different groups to plan and execute experimental campaigns for the HED and/or ICF programs
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, related field or discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in x-ray instrumentation and detection, plasma diagnostics, laser-plasma interactions, radiation driven hydrodynamics, applied physics, or similar area relevant to x-ray measurements and diagnostics in HED physics.
- Comprehensive analytical skills such as critical thinking, problem solving and data analysis as well as experimental planning and design skills relevant to HED experiments.
- Experience with computer programing in Python, Matlab, IDL, or similar data analysis techniques.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Experience with electron optics and/or pulsed electronics
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulations
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.