Refine Search Clear All
Materials Science - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist to participate in projects to develop new materials and composites in support of Laboratory missions, with emphasis in one or more of the following areas: aerogels, nanoparticles, polymer composites, direct-ink writing, solution-based chemistry, and additive manufacturing. You will actively support and be expected to participate in the design, synthesis, characterization, processing and integration of materials with 3D printing and microfluidics methods. This position is in the High Performance Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Perform moderately complex to complex synthesis of nanomaterials using combinations of solution-based crystallization and hydrothermal synthesis.
- Synthesize core-shell nanoparticles and create nanoparticle dispersions.
- Characterize nanoparticles and nanoparticle suspensions.
- Optimize and scale-up nanoparticle synthesis.
- Review scientific and technical literature to prepare for scientific experiments.
- Maintain accurate and detailed laboratory records to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results and present research findings to sponsors.
- Contribute as an effective team member, and present informal progress reports to mentors and research team on a regular basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MS/MA in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience in solution-based synthesis of nanomaterials.
- Experience in characterization of nanomaterials.
- Experience in synthesis of feedstocks for additive manufacturing processes.
- Experience in characterization of feedstocks for additive manufacturing processes.
- Broad understanding of general chemistry in laboratory settings.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to document research results, and to prepare and present proposals, papers, and reports to internal and external audiences.
- Proficient interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with direct ink write.
- Experience with electrophoretic deposition.
- Experience with [email protected] nanoparticles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.