Refine Search Clear All
Welding/Sheet Metal Craft Supervisor
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: 565.5 Craft Supervisor
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Welding/Sheet Metal Craft Supervisor. You will have technical, administrative, and supervisory responsibility for managing and coordinating the work of the Laboratory’s Maintenance Production Welding/Sheet Metal Mechanics Group. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance & Utilities Department.
In this role you will
- Supervise and coordinate the daily work of Welding/Sheet Metal mechanic crews engaged in installation, maintenance, repair, and construction activities.
- Interpret and apply Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) policies and procedures pertaining to performance management, including but not limited to; constructive and timely feedback to employees, training and personnel actions including hiring, discipline, dismissal, documentation, and interviews.
- Serve as a point of contact between the management team and workers, participate fully in management team decision-making and goal setting.
- Establish goals and measurements for productivity in craft work processes and make appropriate adjustments.
- Serve as a Responsible Individual RI/Work Supervisor, responsible for day-to-day work activities of assigned personnel ensuring that the work is performed in accordance with Work Planning and Control.
- Perform work in accordance with plans and specifications ensuring work is performed safely and in compliance with Federal, State, and LLNL Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) requirements and policies.
- Maintain good working relationships with clients, management, and other shops at Livermore Site 200 and Site 300.
- Utilize standard welding and sheet metal tools and computers for timekeeping, job tracking and communication with administrative and management personnel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Extensive journey-level knowledge, abilities, and work experience in the Welding/Sheet Metal trade.
- Technical, administrative, and supervisory skills with experience including independent decision making, workload scheduling, workforce utilization, implementation of policies and procedures, execution of disciplinary action, and completion of performance appraisals.
- Extensive experience in the application of safety regulations, to evaluate work hazards to assure the public, workers, and environment are protected from adverse consequences.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the application of federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations.
- Experience with practical assessment of worker’s skill of the craft and safe work procedure qualifications.
- Ability to provide effective direction and adjust work activities to meet changing requirements as well as motivate, train, develop and provide guidance with an emphasis on teamwork.
- Proficiency using personal computers and related software (e.g., e-mail, Microsoft Word, etc.), including the ability to interact in writing and verbally with all levels of technical, administrative, and management personnel.
- Ability to work scheduled and emergency overtime work, including off-hours, on-call rotation, and be able to work all shifts and in all buildings and areas of the Laboratory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
Qualification we desire
- Knowledge of the function and operation of typical security policies and procedure for nuclear, sensitive or limited-access facilities.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.