Refine Search Clear All
Emergency Management Department Head
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for the Emergency Management Department Head who will work closely to integrate with other organizations across the Laboratory in meeting strategic and tactical objectives. You will be a key member of the Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) Senior Management Team ensuring through proactive methods, that all business activities are conducted in a safe, secure, effective, and compliant manner. Additionally, you will maintain a high Conduct of Operations standards and expectations included in the LLNS contract and mandated by the DOE and provide overall technical and administrative management for the control of all elements in the management and operations of LLNL emergency management activities. This position is in the Emergency Management Department (EMD) which consists of three Divisions: Emergency Programs, Fire and Building Safety, and Alarms Division.
In this role you will
- Provide overall leadership, direction and technical oversight to the Emergency Management Department personnel to ensure a comprehensive LLNL emergency management program dealing with the technical and administrative aspects of fire and building safety, emergency programs, and fire and alarms life safety systems that address requirements promulgated by DOE Orders and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards, implementation of the LLNL Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP), including performance management, personnel and performance issues, career development, training, and annual performance appraisal and ranking activities.
- Develop and manage an estimated $31M budget which consists of broad specialized facilities and operational entities. This requires long-range planning to establish and ensure mission, goals and work activities are met, including executing and managing effective assessment programs, establishing key metrics, and monitoring performance to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Interpret DOE Orders and ensure compliance with DOE Orders, NFPA, state and federal requirements. Develop, approve, and implement technical and administrative emergency management strategies, policies, and procedures for the protection of LLNL employees, facilities, and intellectual property.
- Provide executive direction to staff regarding proposed rules, regulations, and standards affecting LLNL's emergency management programs to determine applicability and compliance and ensure adequate processes and interfaces are codified and functional to manage events ranging from small to large scale regional emergencies.
- Establish and foster effective partnerships and relationships with LLNL customers, stakeholders, state, federal, and local agencies, community, and public affairs, including high level interactions with Laboratory programs, senior management, DOE/HDQs and DOE/NNSA, including present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Oversee the Department’s performance management, salary management, and ranking; manage hiring and recruiting and hiring activities including career development of Emergency Management Department employees to ensure their success, as well as succession planning.
- Provide oversight responsibility to ensure implementation of LLNL policies regarding ES&H, EEO/AA, diversity, and business practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience leading and managing broad and specialized emergency operations within a diversified organization in a research laboratory environment, including effective technical and leadership skills, with proven ability to proactively maintain a strong safety culture in the workplace.
- Extensive experience with DOE Order 151.1 D, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards, including an in-depth knowledge of the Life Safety Code and California Building Code.
- Experience developing and managing operating budgets including projects with multiple and complex components that require coordination from a variety of organizations, long-range planning and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Extensive experience in organizational problem-solving (i.e., clarifying issues, analyzing concerns) and decision-making necessary to independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing technical and administrative policies and procedures related to fire and building safety, fire and alarm life safety systems, and emergency preparedness and response including analyzing performance metrics data to implement corrective actions and developing future assessment activities.
- Advanced technical and leadership skills for instilling a strong safety and security culture in the workplace as a priority, while meeting institutional requirements.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, and problem-solving skills necessary to direct an organization, lead innovative research, build cooperative multi-disciplinary teams, interact with and advise management and customers/sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive knowledge of DOE Orders, national standards, ES&H policies and procedures, and other regulatory agency rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of fire department operations.
- Extensive knowledge of Laboratory management structure including clear understanding of the Laboratory’s mission and DOE requirements, LLNL programs and policies, i.e., ES&H and security policies and procedures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.